Sep 15, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
The Athletics are looking to sweep the Rangers in Arlington and push their division lead to 6 1/2 games, but the hot-hitting Yoenis Cespedes was scratched before Sunday’s series finale and now an emergency starting pitcher is going to be taking the mound.
From MLB.com’s Jane Lee comes word that righty Jarrod Parker will not make his scheduled Sunday start because of an illness. Tommy Milone, who was moved to the bullpen in late August and owns a 4.61 ERA in the second half, will get the nod instead.
Parker is 5-0 with a stellar 2.40 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 42/13 K/BB ratio over 56 1/3 innings since August 3.
Assuming it’s the flu, he should be able to take his turn early this week.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12