Sep 15, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
The Athletics are looking to sweep the Rangers in Arlington and push their division lead to 6 1/2 games, but the hot-hitting Yoenis Cespedes was scratched before Sunday’s series finale and now an emergency starting pitcher is going to be taking the mound.
From MLB.com’s Jane Lee comes word that righty Jarrod Parker will not make his scheduled Sunday start because of an illness. Tommy Milone, who was moved to the bullpen in late August and owns a 4.61 ERA in the second half, will get the nod instead.
Parker is 5-0 with a stellar 2.40 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 42/13 K/BB ratio over 56 1/3 innings since August 3.
Assuming it’s the flu, he should be able to take his turn early this week.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)