Sep 15, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
In his farewell tour this season, Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has received many accolades. From scoreboard memos to hugs to, uh, sand sculptures, people haven’t been shy about telling Rivera how much his career has meant to the game. The Red Sox, often victimized by Rivera’s cutter over the years, played Rivera out in style by giving him a poem written by Red Sox poet laureate Dick Flavin.
The Red Sox also honored Rivera before the game.
In his final season, Rivera has a 2.30 ERA and 43 saves in 58.2 innings. He has a Major League record 651 saves. If he gets two more saves before the season is out, he will have reached 45 saves for just the fourth time in his 19-year career.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)