Sep 15, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
In his farewell tour this season, Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has received many accolades. From scoreboard memos to hugs to, uh, sand sculptures, people haven’t been shy about telling Rivera how much his career has meant to the game. The Red Sox, often victimized by Rivera’s cutter over the years, played Rivera out in style by giving him a poem written by Red Sox poet laureate Dick Flavin.
The Red Sox also honored Rivera before the game.
In his final season, Rivera has a 2.30 ERA and 43 saves in 58.2 innings. He has a Major League record 651 saves. If he gets two more saves before the season is out, he will have reached 45 saves for just the fourth time in his 19-year career.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)