Sep 15, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez may need to undergo surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right middle finger, reports Troy Renck of the Denver Post. Gonzalez will meet with a hand specialist in Cleveland in Cleveland on Thursday. If the specialist recommends it, Gonzalez could undergo surgery towards the end of the month or shortly after the season concludes.
Renck describes the process:
The surgery, however, is not a simple procedure. Gonzalez would have the ligament replaced and a pin inserted to stabilize the finger for six-to-eight weeks. When the pin is removed, aggressive therapy would follow for roughly two months to help him regain most of his flexibility, Rockies trainer Keith Dugger said. It would leave him ready to swing a bat in early January, barring any setbacks.
Gonzalez sustained the injury on July 9 in the ninth inning against the Diamondbacks, but continued to play into August before needing a spell on the disabled list. He returned on September 3 but hasn’t taken an official plate appearance as the Rockies have been easing him back in, using him as a pinch-runner and defensive substitute.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 48
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)