Sep 15, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez may need to undergo surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right middle finger, reports Troy Renck of the Denver Post. Gonzalez will meet with a hand specialist in Cleveland in Cleveland on Thursday. If the specialist recommends it, Gonzalez could undergo surgery towards the end of the month or shortly after the season concludes.
Renck describes the process:
The surgery, however, is not a simple procedure. Gonzalez would have the ligament replaced and a pin inserted to stabilize the finger for six-to-eight weeks. When the pin is removed, aggressive therapy would follow for roughly two months to help him regain most of his flexibility, Rockies trainer Keith Dugger said. It would leave him ready to swing a bat in early January, barring any setbacks.
Gonzalez sustained the injury on July 9 in the ninth inning against the Diamondbacks, but continued to play into August before needing a spell on the disabled list. He returned on September 3 but hasn’t taken an official plate appearance as the Rockies have been easing him back in, using him as a pinch-runner and defensive substitute.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)