Sep 15, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez may need to undergo surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right middle finger, reports Troy Renck of the Denver Post. Gonzalez will meet with a hand specialist in Cleveland in Cleveland on Thursday. If the specialist recommends it, Gonzalez could undergo surgery towards the end of the month or shortly after the season concludes.
Renck describes the process:
The surgery, however, is not a simple procedure. Gonzalez would have the ligament replaced and a pin inserted to stabilize the finger for six-to-eight weeks. When the pin is removed, aggressive therapy would follow for roughly two months to help him regain most of his flexibility, Rockies trainer Keith Dugger said. It would leave him ready to swing a bat in early January, barring any setbacks.
Gonzalez sustained the injury on July 9 in the ninth inning against the Diamondbacks, but continued to play into August before needing a spell on the disabled list. He returned on September 3 but hasn’t taken an official plate appearance as the Rockies have been easing him back in, using him as a pinch-runner and defensive substitute.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)