Sep 15, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
At the same time the Giants have expressed interest in extending him, outfielder Hunter Pence has caught on fire at the plate. He entered this afternoon with homers in three consecutive games, and in four out of his last five. He drove in seven runs last night against the Dodgers and drove in six on Tuesday against the Rockies. Overall in September, he came into today’s action with seven homers, 22 RBI, a stolen base, and a .407/.476/.870 line.
Pence kept the hot streak going today, driving a solo shot to left-center against Dodgers starter Edinson Volquez. He added a two-run home run to left in the sixth, knotting the game at 3-3.
Starter Ryan Vogelsong kept the Giants in the game, allowing three runs over six innings. All three runs came on one mistake to Adrian Gonzalez as the Dodgers first baseman hit a bases-clearing double to right field in the bottom of the fifth.
Brett Pill put the Giants ahead 4-3 in the eighth inning with a solo shot to left. Giants relievers Jean Machi, Santiago Casilla, and Sergio Romo combined for three scoreless innings to complete the 4-3 victory. For Romo, it marks his 35th save of the season. The Dodgers’ magic number remains at four.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)