Sep 15, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
At the same time the Giants have expressed interest in extending him, outfielder Hunter Pence has caught on fire at the plate. He entered this afternoon with homers in three consecutive games, and in four out of his last five. He drove in seven runs last night against the Dodgers and drove in six on Tuesday against the Rockies. Overall in September, he came into today’s action with seven homers, 22 RBI, a stolen base, and a .407/.476/.870 line.
Pence kept the hot streak going today, driving a solo shot to left-center against Dodgers starter Edinson Volquez. He added a two-run home run to left in the sixth, knotting the game at 3-3.
Starter Ryan Vogelsong kept the Giants in the game, allowing three runs over six innings. All three runs came on one mistake to Adrian Gonzalez as the Dodgers first baseman hit a bases-clearing double to right field in the bottom of the fifth.
Brett Pill put the Giants ahead 4-3 in the eighth inning with a solo shot to left. Giants relievers Jean Machi, Santiago Casilla, and Sergio Romo combined for three scoreless innings to complete the 4-3 victory. For Romo, it marks his 35th save of the season. The Dodgers’ magic number remains at four.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 47
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)