Sep 15, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
At the same time the Giants have expressed interest in extending him, outfielder Hunter Pence has caught on fire at the plate. He entered this afternoon with homers in three consecutive games, and in four out of his last five. He drove in seven runs last night against the Dodgers and drove in six on Tuesday against the Rockies. Overall in September, he came into today’s action with seven homers, 22 RBI, a stolen base, and a .407/.476/.870 line.
Pence kept the hot streak going today, driving a solo shot to left-center against Dodgers starter Edinson Volquez. He added a two-run home run to left in the sixth, knotting the game at 3-3.
Starter Ryan Vogelsong kept the Giants in the game, allowing three runs over six innings. All three runs came on one mistake to Adrian Gonzalez as the Dodgers first baseman hit a bases-clearing double to right field in the bottom of the fifth.
Brett Pill put the Giants ahead 4-3 in the eighth inning with a solo shot to left. Giants relievers Jean Machi, Santiago Casilla, and Sergio Romo combined for three scoreless innings to complete the 4-3 victory. For Romo, it marks his 35th save of the season. The Dodgers’ magic number remains at four.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)