Sep 15, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
It took 14 games and 50 trips to the plate, but first baseman Justin Morneau finally got his first RBI as a member of the Pirates this afternoon. His one-out, eighth-inning single to left drove in Andrew McCutchen to put the Buccos up 3-2. Morneau has yet to homer with his new club, and he even entered the afternoon slugging just .310 since switching jerseys.
The Pirates went up 2-0 early, scoring once in the first on a wild pitch, and once again in the fourth on a solo home run by Tony Sanchez. Starter Francisco Liriano held the Cubs scoreless through sixth and came out for the seventh, but quickly ran into trouble. Following Junior Lake‘s lead-off single, Welington Castillo drove a two-run home run to left to tie the game. Fortunately for the Pirates, Morneau was able to play the role of hero. Mark Melancon pitched a perfect ninth to notch his 16th save of the season, lowering his ERA to 1.07 in the process.
The Cardinals also won, 12-2 over the Mariners, so the Pirates remain tied in first place atop the NL Central at 87-62.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)