Sep 15, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
This would be a pretty great way for Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria to start reinvesting some of the money his franchise saved in that November 2012 firesale.
According to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, the Fish have had scouts in the Dominican Republic all weekend watching free agent first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu, who defected from his native Cuba one month ago and established residency in Haiti while waiting to be cleared to negotiate with major league teams.
He still hasn’t been given that clearance and is not expected to settle with a big league club until right around the December MLB Winter Meetings. The 26-year-old slugger is thought to be seeking over $50 million in guaranteed money.
Abreu batted .394/.542/.837 with 75 walks, 35 home runs, 71 runs scored and 99 RBI in 87 games for Cienfuegos, a Cuban Serie Nacional team, in 2011-2012. He hit .382/.535/.735 with 13 homers, 37 runs scored, 36 RBI and 37 walks in 42 games during a shortened 2012-2013 campaign.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (95)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (95)