Sep 15, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
This would be a pretty great way for Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria to start reinvesting some of the money his franchise saved in that November 2012 firesale.
According to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, the Fish have had scouts in the Dominican Republic all weekend watching free agent first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu, who defected from his native Cuba one month ago and established residency in Haiti while waiting to be cleared to negotiate with major league teams.
He still hasn’t been given that clearance and is not expected to settle with a big league club until right around the December MLB Winter Meetings. The 26-year-old slugger is thought to be seeking over $50 million in guaranteed money.
Abreu batted .394/.542/.837 with 75 walks, 35 home runs, 71 runs scored and 99 RBI in 87 games for Cienfuegos, a Cuban Serie Nacional team, in 2011-2012. He hit .382/.535/.735 with 13 homers, 37 runs scored, 36 RBI and 37 walks in 42 games during a shortened 2012-2013 campaign.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 14
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 71
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)