Sep 15, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
After shutting out the Mets over six innings on August 24, it seemed like even 25 wins was possible for the Tigers’ right-hander. But in four starts since, Max Scherzer has lost twice and earned two no-decisions, failing to reach the 20-win threshold. As MLB Network’s Brian Kenny will be quick to point out, this by no means indicates that Scherzer has pitched poorly.
This afternoon, Scherzer held the Royals to one run on five hits and a walk while striking out 12 in seven innings of work. Scherzer left with a 2-1 lead. In the eighth against reliever Drew Smyly, Royals shortstop Alcides Escobar doubled to lead off the inning, stole third with one out, then came around to score on a wild pitch to tie the game and take Scherzer out of the running for the W.
In the bottom of the eighth, Alex Avila smacked his 11th homer of the year to right-center, putting the Tigers up 3-2. Joaquin Benoit pitched a perfect ninth to wrap up the victory, his 20th save of the year. Smyly got the win, bumping his record up to 6-0.
With the loss, the Royals drop to 78-71, 3.5 games behind the second AL Wild Card. The Tigers improve to 86-63, 5.5 games ahead of the second-place Indians in the AL Central.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)