Sep 15, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
After shutting out the Mets over six innings on August 24, it seemed like even 25 wins was possible for the Tigers’ right-hander. But in four starts since, Max Scherzer has lost twice and earned two no-decisions, failing to reach the 20-win threshold. As MLB Network’s Brian Kenny will be quick to point out, this by no means indicates that Scherzer has pitched poorly.
This afternoon, Scherzer held the Royals to one run on five hits and a walk while striking out 12 in seven innings of work. Scherzer left with a 2-1 lead. In the eighth against reliever Drew Smyly, Royals shortstop Alcides Escobar doubled to lead off the inning, stole third with one out, then came around to score on a wild pitch to tie the game and take Scherzer out of the running for the W.
In the bottom of the eighth, Alex Avila smacked his 11th homer of the year to right-center, putting the Tigers up 3-2. Joaquin Benoit pitched a perfect ninth to wrap up the victory, his 20th save of the year. Smyly got the win, bumping his record up to 6-0.
With the loss, the Royals drop to 78-71, 3.5 games behind the second AL Wild Card. The Tigers improve to 86-63, 5.5 games ahead of the second-place Indians in the AL Central.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)