Sep 15, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times has the info:
The Rays are considering calling up INF Tim Beckham, the No. 1 pick of the 2008 draft, who had a solid season for Triple-A Durham this year.
The Rays could use another right-hand hitting middle infielder and pinch-runner, plus the experience could be beneficial for Beckham’s development.
Durham’s final game is Tuesday night — the Triple-A national championship game against the Royals’ affiliate from Omaha, Nebraska — but Topkin hears that Beckham might be arriving in Florida on Monday.
Beckham, a 23-year-old shortstop prospect from Georgia, hit .276/.342/.387 with four homers, 51 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 71 runs scored in 122 games this summer in the International League. The Rays are also expected to promote right-hander Jake Odorizzi and left-hander Jeff Beliveau from the Durham Bulls roster.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)