Sep 15, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times has the info:
The Rays are considering calling up INF Tim Beckham, the No. 1 pick of the 2008 draft, who had a solid season for Triple-A Durham this year.
The Rays could use another right-hand hitting middle infielder and pinch-runner, plus the experience could be beneficial for Beckham’s development.
Durham’s final game is Tuesday night — the Triple-A national championship game against the Royals’ affiliate from Omaha, Nebraska — but Topkin hears that Beckham might be arriving in Florida on Monday.
Beckham, a 23-year-old shortstop prospect from Georgia, hit .276/.342/.387 with four homers, 51 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 71 runs scored in 122 games this summer in the International League. The Rays are also expected to promote right-hander Jake Odorizzi and left-hander Jeff Beliveau from the Durham Bulls roster.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)