Sep 15, 2013, 4:18 PM EST
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times has the info:
The Rays are considering calling up INF Tim Beckham, the No. 1 pick of the 2008 draft, who had a solid season for Triple-A Durham this year.
The Rays could use another right-hand hitting middle infielder and pinch-runner, plus the experience could be beneficial for Beckham’s development.
Durham’s final game is Tuesday night — the Triple-A national championship game against the Royals’ affiliate from Omaha, Nebraska — but Topkin hears that Beckham might be arriving in Florida on Monday.
Beckham, a 23-year-old shortstop prospect from Georgia, hit .276/.342/.387 with four homers, 51 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 71 runs scored in 122 games this summer in the International League. The Rays are also expected to promote right-hander Jake Odorizzi and left-hander Jeff Beliveau from the Durham Bulls roster.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (172)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)