Sep 15, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times has the info:
The Rays are considering calling up INF Tim Beckham, the No. 1 pick of the 2008 draft, who had a solid season for Triple-A Durham this year.
The Rays could use another right-hand hitting middle infielder and pinch-runner, plus the experience could be beneficial for Beckham’s development.
Durham’s final game is Tuesday night — the Triple-A national championship game against the Royals’ affiliate from Omaha, Nebraska — but Topkin hears that Beckham might be arriving in Florida on Monday.
Beckham, a 23-year-old shortstop prospect from Georgia, hit .276/.342/.387 with four homers, 51 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 71 runs scored in 122 games this summer in the International League. The Rays are also expected to promote right-hander Jake Odorizzi and left-hander Jeff Beliveau from the Durham Bulls roster.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)