Sep 15, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times has the info:
The Rays are considering calling up INF Tim Beckham, the No. 1 pick of the 2008 draft, who had a solid season for Triple-A Durham this year.
The Rays could use another right-hand hitting middle infielder and pinch-runner, plus the experience could be beneficial for Beckham’s development.
Durham’s final game is Tuesday night — the Triple-A national championship game against the Royals’ affiliate from Omaha, Nebraska — but Topkin hears that Beckham might be arriving in Florida on Monday.
Beckham, a 23-year-old shortstop prospect from Georgia, hit .276/.342/.387 with four homers, 51 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 71 runs scored in 122 games this summer in the International League. The Rays are also expected to promote right-hander Jake Odorizzi and left-hander Jeff Beliveau from the Durham Bulls roster.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)