Sep 15, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rays entered this afternoon’s contest against the Twins having completed back-to-back shutouts. Starter Chris Archer shut them out over six innings on Friday while Matt Moore went three innings in a rain-soaked affair last night. The last time a Rays pitcher had allowed a run was in the sixth inning on Thursday against the Red Sox, when Stephen Drew doubled against Jamey Wright.
The great pitching continued for six innings today before starter David Price faltered, bringing the streak to 27 consecutive scoreless innings. The Rays went ahead 3-0 on a Wil Myers two-run home run in the fourth and a Sean Rodriguez solo shot in the fifth. Price took the hill in the seventh, but he loaded the bases with one out, prompting manager Joe Maddon to call upon Jake McGee. McGee surrendered a two-run single to Chris Parmelee, then recorded consecutive strikeouts to end the inning.
The Rays added an insurance run in the top of the eighth on a James Loney RBI single. Joel Peralta, making his American League-leading 73rd appearance of the season, got two quick outs in the bottom of the eighth and appeared to be on his way to an easy inning. Ryan Doumit slugged a solo home run to right-center to bring the Twins within a run. Peralta allowed a single to Trevor Plouffe and a walk to Josh Willingham before Josmil Pinto drove a three-run homer to left-center, putting the Twins up 6-4. It proved to be the game-winner as closer Glen Perkins tossed a perfect ninth for his 35th save of the season.
Entering the afternoon, the Rays were tied with the Rangers at 81-66 for the two Wild Card spots. The Indians, clearly visible in the rear-view mirror, were just a game and a half behind. As the Rangers lost, the Rays will be no worse than a game in front for the second Wild Card as the rest of today’s action unfolds.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 33
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 21
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)