Sep 15, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
The Athletics won for the 16th time in their last 20 games this afternoon, wrapping up a series sweep over the limping Rangers. The win pushes their lead to 6.5 games with 13 games left to play, effectively wrapping up the division. The Rangers lost their sixth consecutive game and haven’t won consecutive games since August 27-28. They remain tied with the Rays for both AL Wild Card spots.
It was close early. The A’s scored twice in the first on Jed Lowrie‘s double play and a solo home run by Josh Donaldson. The Rangers got one back in the bottom of the first on A.J. Pierzynski‘s RBI single. Outfielder Chris Young hit a solo home run in the fourth to bump the score to 3-1 in favor of the Athletics. From there, A’s starter Tommy Milone and Rangers starter Martin Perez limited the offense.
The Athletics put the game out of reach in the top of the ninth when Josh Reddick hit a two-run home run to right field off of Joakim Soria. Athletics reliever Jesse Chavez pitched a perfect ninth to finalize the 5-1 victory.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)