Sep 15, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Yoenis Cespedes has been scratched from the A’s starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale with the Rangers because of soreness in his right shoulder. Nate Freiman will DH for Oakland instead.
Cespedes banged his shoulder recently on a diving catch. The hope is he’ll be fine with a day of rest.
The A’s have won the first two games of this weekend series in Texas and will be looking to move 6 1/2 games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West standings on Sunday afternoon.
Cespedes is hitting .373/.407/.627 with 13 RBI in 54 plate appearances this month.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)