Sep 15, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Yoenis Cespedes has been scratched from the A’s starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale with the Rangers because of soreness in his right shoulder. Nate Freiman will DH for Oakland instead.
Cespedes banged his shoulder recently on a diving catch. The hope is he’ll be fine with a day of rest.
The A’s have won the first two games of this weekend series in Texas and will be looking to move 6 1/2 games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West standings on Sunday afternoon.
Cespedes is hitting .373/.407/.627 with 13 RBI in 54 plate appearances this month.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)