Sep 15, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Yoenis Cespedes has been scratched from the A’s starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale with the Rangers because of soreness in his right shoulder. Nate Freiman will DH for Oakland instead.
Cespedes banged his shoulder recently on a diving catch. The hope is he’ll be fine with a day of rest.
The A’s have won the first two games of this weekend series in Texas and will be looking to move 6 1/2 games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West standings on Sunday afternoon.
Cespedes is hitting .373/.407/.627 with 13 RBI in 54 plate appearances this month.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)