Sep 15, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Yoenis Cespedes has been scratched from the A’s starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale with the Rangers because of soreness in his right shoulder. Nate Freiman will DH for Oakland instead.
Cespedes banged his shoulder recently on a diving catch. The hope is he’ll be fine with a day of rest.
The A’s have won the first two games of this weekend series in Texas and will be looking to move 6 1/2 games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West standings on Sunday afternoon.
Cespedes is hitting .373/.407/.627 with 13 RBI in 54 plate appearances this month.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)