A former NBA player for MLB Commissioner?

Sep 16, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig speaks during a news conference in New York

I’d file this under “pipe dream” but Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times has a column up looking at Kevin Johnson — former NBA All-Star and current Sacramento mayor — as a potential successor to Bud Selig.

I say it’s a pipe dream because, as Shaikin seems to agree, baseball owners are not the sort to go for outsiders. Which is partially what made Selig so successful. He’s always had support from the owners, partially because he’s a good politician and consensus builder, but also because he was given the slack to perfect that approach given that he was one of the owners and everyone knew him.

Still: an interesting thought experiment as we approach the Post-Selig Era. And, on its own merits, a good look at Kevin Johnson and all he’s been able to accomplish in Sacramento.

1. sabatimus - Sep 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I was hoping to read the words “Charles Barkley”.

2. asimonetti88 - Sep 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Kevin Johnson will likely end up bankrupting the city simply to build a basketball stadium.

I’m sure that Loria would be all for him.

3. losangelesfan - Sep 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM

How about Loria? Hey, he wouldn’t be an owner anymore. He can’t possibly screw MLB up worse than Bud has…can he?

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM

And yet again I say, guffaw.

4. ndnut - Sep 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM

My first thought was Dennis Rodman.

• nbjays - Sep 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Well he can put “Globetrotting Statesman” or “Ambassador to North Korea” or some such crap on his resume. :-)

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM

First thing we’re going to do is, loosen the dress code. And by dress code, I mean dresses. Wedding dresses. Prom dresses. Every team gets a dress that they wear instead of those God Awful white pants that goes down to the shoes, Man. Not even stirrups. And my next move will be makeup. Look how pretty I look. Revlon buys into the League and everybody is wearing their shades.

5. anthonycisneros - Sep 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My Uncle Jack recently got a 2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan by working off of a macbook air… go to this website

http:\\­­x­uℛ­­­l.e­­­s­/khzgf

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM

What kind of condition is the MacBook Air in if your Uncle Jack is constantly working while standing on top of it?

• mattinglystolemypopcorn - Sep 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Look, Mr. Cisneros, I know the truth. Uncle Jack found $80 million buried in some barrels in the desert outside Albuquerque.

6. straightouttavtown - Sep 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Kevin Johnson will be a horrible candidate. Not only is he a horrible mayor, most of us still haven’t forget his pedophilia allegations in the charity he runs.

• genericcommenter - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Cite?

7. harrysatchel - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM

In this picture, Bud Selig is apparently showing off his best Mary Kathryn Gallagher impression.

Three legends off to Cooperstown