Sep 16, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
Cliff Lee was a one-man gang in tonight’s 12-2 victory over the Marlins. In addition to allowing two runs over eight innings while striking out 14 batters, he went 3-for-4 and drove in a career-high four runs. My goodness. I’m not sure it’s possible to dominate a team more thoroughly than that.
As for his exploits on offense, Lee had a bases-loaded two-run single in the third inning, an RBI triple in the fifth, and another RBI single in the seventh. The veteran southpaw improved to 14-6 with the victory while the 14 strikeouts gave him his fourth double-digit strikeout game of the season. Just icing on the cake, with tonight’s performance, Lee surpassed the 200-inning mark for the sixth straight season and 200 strikeouts for the third straight year.
The stats below provide further context about Lee’s remarkable night. Needless to say, we don’t see this sort of thing very often.
Cliff Lee: 2nd pitcher in MLB history to have 14 K AND drive in 4 runs in the same game
Cliff Lee: 1st Phillies P in 83 years with a 3-hit, 4-RBI game (last was Phil Collins, 1930) … and Lee has 14 K today to boot!—
ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) September 17, 2013
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (118)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)