Sep 16, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Cliff Lee was a one-man gang in tonight’s 12-2 victory over the Marlins. In addition to allowing two runs over eight innings while striking out 14 batters, he went 3-for-4 and drove in a career-high four runs. My goodness. I’m not sure it’s possible to dominate a team more thoroughly than that.
As for his exploits on offense, Lee had a bases-loaded two-run single in the third inning, an RBI triple in the fifth, and another RBI single in the seventh. The veteran southpaw improved to 14-6 with the victory while the 14 strikeouts gave him his fourth double-digit strikeout game of the season. Just icing on the cake, with tonight’s performance, Lee surpassed the 200-inning mark for the sixth straight season and 200 strikeouts for the third straight year.
The stats below provide further context about Lee’s remarkable night. Needless to say, we don’t see this sort of thing very often.
Cliff Lee: 2nd pitcher in MLB history to have 14 K AND drive in 4 runs in the same game
Cliff Lee: 1st Phillies P in 83 years with a 3-hit, 4-RBI game (last was Phil Collins, 1930) … and Lee has 14 K today to boot!—
ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) September 17, 2013
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17