Sep 16, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
UPDATE: The game has been postponed and the two teams will play a day-night doubleheader tomorrow.
UPDATE: The teams have been given clearance to enter Nationals Park. No suggestion yet that the game may be cancelled. Which, given the latest reports on the number of dead, police instructions to the general population about steering clear of the area and given reports that there could still be shooters at large, is rather surprising. I would not be shocked if there are more updates.
11:42 AM: This is obviously trivial compared to what’s going on at the Navy Yard in Washington today, but one result of the shooting could be the postponement of tonight’s Braves-Nationals game at Nationals Park:
#nats have been told to stay away from the ballpark in light of the situation at the Navy Yard. No announcement on tonight’s game just yet
— Amanda Comak (@acomak) September 16, 2013
The ballpark is mere blocks from the crime scene. Depending on the still-developing situation, authorities may not want hundreds of team personnel and thousands of fans descending on the area today.
For more reports and information on the shooting, please go to NBCNews.com.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (143)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)