Sep 16, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
UPDATE: The game has been postponed and the two teams will play a day-night doubleheader tomorrow.
UPDATE: The teams have been given clearance to enter Nationals Park. No suggestion yet that the game may be cancelled. Which, given the latest reports on the number of dead, police instructions to the general population about steering clear of the area and given reports that there could still be shooters at large, is rather surprising. I would not be shocked if there are more updates.
11:42 AM: This is obviously trivial compared to what’s going on at the Navy Yard in Washington today, but one result of the shooting could be the postponement of tonight’s Braves-Nationals game at Nationals Park:
#nats have been told to stay away from the ballpark in light of the situation at the Navy Yard. No announcement on tonight’s game just yet
— Amanda Comak (@acomak) September 16, 2013
The ballpark is mere blocks from the crime scene. Depending on the still-developing situation, authorities may not want hundreds of team personnel and thousands of fans descending on the area today.
For more reports and information on the shooting, please go to NBCNews.com.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)