Sep 16, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
UPDATE: The game has been postponed and the two teams will play a day-night doubleheader tomorrow.
UPDATE: The teams have been given clearance to enter Nationals Park. No suggestion yet that the game may be cancelled. Which, given the latest reports on the number of dead, police instructions to the general population about steering clear of the area and given reports that there could still be shooters at large, is rather surprising. I would not be shocked if there are more updates.
11:42 AM: This is obviously trivial compared to what’s going on at the Navy Yard in Washington today, but one result of the shooting could be the postponement of tonight’s Braves-Nationals game at Nationals Park:
#nats have been told to stay away from the ballpark in light of the situation at the Navy Yard. No announcement on tonight’s game just yet
— Amanda Comak (@acomak) September 16, 2013
The ballpark is mere blocks from the crime scene. Depending on the still-developing situation, authorities may not want hundreds of team personnel and thousands of fans descending on the area today.
For more reports and information on the shooting, please go to NBCNews.com.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 13
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 64
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)