Sep 16, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
UPDATE: The game has been postponed and the two teams will play a day-night doubleheader tomorrow.
UPDATE: The teams have been given clearance to enter Nationals Park. No suggestion yet that the game may be cancelled. Which, given the latest reports on the number of dead, police instructions to the general population about steering clear of the area and given reports that there could still be shooters at large, is rather surprising. I would not be shocked if there are more updates.
11:42 AM: This is obviously trivial compared to what’s going on at the Navy Yard in Washington today, but one result of the shooting could be the postponement of tonight’s Braves-Nationals game at Nationals Park:
#nats have been told to stay away from the ballpark in light of the situation at the Navy Yard. No announcement on tonight’s game just yet
— Amanda Comak (@acomak) September 16, 2013
The ballpark is mere blocks from the crime scene. Depending on the still-developing situation, authorities may not want hundreds of team personnel and thousands of fans descending on the area today.
For more reports and information on the shooting, please go to NBCNews.com.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)