Sep 16, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
UPDATE: The game has been postponed and the two teams will play a day-night doubleheader tomorrow.
UPDATE: The teams have been given clearance to enter Nationals Park. No suggestion yet that the game may be cancelled. Which, given the latest reports on the number of dead, police instructions to the general population about steering clear of the area and given reports that there could still be shooters at large, is rather surprising. I would not be shocked if there are more updates.
11:42 AM: This is obviously trivial compared to what’s going on at the Navy Yard in Washington today, but one result of the shooting could be the postponement of tonight’s Braves-Nationals game at Nationals Park:
#nats have been told to stay away from the ballpark in light of the situation at the Navy Yard. No announcement on tonight’s game just yet
— Amanda Comak (@acomak) September 16, 2013
The ballpark is mere blocks from the crime scene. Depending on the still-developing situation, authorities may not want hundreds of team personnel and thousands of fans descending on the area today.
For more reports and information on the shooting, please go to NBCNews.com.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 3
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)