Sep 16, 2013, 4:44 PM EST
Henry Urrutia is back from the restricted list after not being allowed into Canada due to visa issues and to make room for his return to the roster the Orioles designated Wilson Betemit for assignment.
Betemit missed the first four-plus months of the season recovering from a spring training knee injury and struggled to find at-bats after returning, as manager Buck Showalter stuck with Danny Valencia as the primary designated hitter.
Betemit ended up going 0-for-10 and he’ll hit the open market as a 32-year-old free agent following what was essentially a lost season.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 18
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)