Sep 16, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Henry Urrutia is back from the restricted list after not being allowed into Canada due to visa issues and to make room for his return to the roster the Orioles designated Wilson Betemit for assignment.
Betemit missed the first four-plus months of the season recovering from a spring training knee injury and struggled to find at-bats after returning, as manager Buck Showalter stuck with Danny Valencia as the primary designated hitter.
Betemit ended up going 0-for-10 and he’ll hit the open market as a 32-year-old free agent following what was essentially a lost season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 57
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)