Sep 16, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
After his latest monster game last night Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt is now hitting .301 with 32 homers and 114 RBIs on the season. He also brings an added dimension offensively that few first basemen can match, stealing a team-high 14 bases.
I was curious about how rare it is for a first baseman to hit .300 with 30-plus homers, 100-plus RBIs, and double-digit steals. Here’s the full list during the past 40 years (since 1974):
Jeff Bagwell 4 times Albert Pujols 3 Andres Galarraga 2 PAUL GOLDSCHMIDT 1 Joey Votto 1 Derrek Lee 1 Mo Vaughn 1
First things first: Yes, that’s the same Mo Vaughn. He stole 11 bases in his MVP-winning 1995 season … and never stole more than four bases in any other season.
Overall during the past 40 seasons six different first basemen have hit .300-30-100 with double-digit steals and they’ve done it a total of 12 times, led by Jeff Bagwell’s four seasons of .300-30-100-10. If he can keep his batting average above .300 for the next two weeks Goldschmidt would become the seventh first baseman in the club since 1974.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)