Sep 16, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
After his latest monster game last night Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt is now hitting .301 with 32 homers and 114 RBIs on the season. He also brings an added dimension offensively that few first basemen can match, stealing a team-high 14 bases.
I was curious about how rare it is for a first baseman to hit .300 with 30-plus homers, 100-plus RBIs, and double-digit steals. Here’s the full list during the past 40 years (since 1974):
Jeff Bagwell 4 times Albert Pujols 3 Andres Galarraga 2 PAUL GOLDSCHMIDT 1 Joey Votto 1 Derrek Lee 1 Mo Vaughn 1
First things first: Yes, that’s the same Mo Vaughn. He stole 11 bases in his MVP-winning 1995 season … and never stole more than four bases in any other season.
Overall during the past 40 seasons six different first basemen have hit .300-30-100 with double-digit steals and they’ve done it a total of 12 times, led by Jeff Bagwell’s four seasons of .300-30-100-10. If he can keep his batting average above .300 for the next two weeks Goldschmidt would become the seventh first baseman in the club since 1974.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)