Sep 16, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Alex Cobb excelled on the hill while Wil Myers did the heavy lifting for the offense as the Rays topped the Rangers 6-2 tonight at Tropicana Field. The Rays are now one game ahead of the Rangers for the top AL Wild Card spot. Meanwhile, the fading Rangers have lost seven straight games.
Cobb allowed two runs over eight innings in the victory while striking out 10 batters. The game was a back-and-forth affair until the Rays got to Matt Garza for four runs in the fifth inning. Myers drove in three runs on the night, including a solo home run and a two-run double.
The Rangers now have their longest losing streak since 2007. Fortunately for them, the Indians lost to the Royals tonight, so they still have a half-game lead for the second Wild Card spot. The Orioles are two games back while the Yankees and Royals are both 2 1/2 games back.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 18
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 60
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 15
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)