Sep 16, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Alex Cobb excelled on the hill while Wil Myers did the heavy lifting for the offense as the Rays topped the Rangers 6-2 tonight at Tropicana Field. The Rays are now one game ahead of the Rangers for the top AL Wild Card spot. Meanwhile, the fading Rangers have lost seven straight games.
Cobb allowed two runs over eight innings in the victory while striking out 10 batters. The game was a back-and-forth affair until the Rays got to Matt Garza for four runs in the fifth inning. Myers drove in three runs on the night, including a solo home run and a two-run double.
The Rangers now have their longest losing streak since 2007. Fortunately for them, the Indians lost to the Royals tonight, so they still have a half-game lead for the second Wild Card spot. The Orioles are two games back while the Yankees and Royals are both 2 1/2 games back.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)