Sep 16, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Alex Cobb excelled on the hill while Wil Myers did the heavy lifting for the offense as the Rays topped the Rangers 6-2 tonight at Tropicana Field. The Rays are now one game ahead of the Rangers for the top AL Wild Card spot. Meanwhile, the fading Rangers have lost seven straight games.
Cobb allowed two runs over eight innings in the victory while striking out 10 batters. The game was a back-and-forth affair until the Rays got to Matt Garza for four runs in the fifth inning. Myers drove in three runs on the night, including a solo home run and a two-run double.
The Rangers now have their longest losing streak since 2007. Fortunately for them, the Indians lost to the Royals tonight, so they still have a half-game lead for the second Wild Card spot. The Orioles are two games back while the Yankees and Royals are both 2 1/2 games back.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (120)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)