Sep 16, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
If you’re going to an A’s game, leave your flasks at home. Or else get a plastic one, but eww. Anyway:
#Athletics to start new league mandated security measures on Thursday night, with metal detectors used at all entrance points.
— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) September 16, 2013
Later on it was clarified by Bill Shaikin that this is not, actually, a league-wide thing. The A’s are making this call themselves:
To those asking: A’s announced airport-style screening would start due to “league-wide mandate.” There is no such mandate. Team makes call.
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) September 16, 2013
It’ll be interesting to see if this is a test for wider use or if it really is just the A’s ratcheting up security. For what it’s worth, Slusser is one of the best in the business so she had to have heard that from someone. Shaikin is too, so it’s not like he’s likely to be misinformed either. I bet there is something more to this than anyone knows. Just a hunch, though.
Either way, give yourselves some more time if you’re heading to the Coliseum.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 35
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 4
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)