Sep 16, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
If you’re going to an A’s game, leave your flasks at home. Or else get a plastic one, but eww. Anyway:
#Athletics to start new league mandated security measures on Thursday night, with metal detectors used at all entrance points.
— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) September 16, 2013
Later on it was clarified by Bill Shaikin that this is not, actually, a league-wide thing. The A’s are making this call themselves:
To those asking: A’s announced airport-style screening would start due to “league-wide mandate.” There is no such mandate. Team makes call.
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) September 16, 2013
It’ll be interesting to see if this is a test for wider use or if it really is just the A’s ratcheting up security. For what it’s worth, Slusser is one of the best in the business so she had to have heard that from someone. Shaikin is too, so it’s not like he’s likely to be misinformed either. I bet there is something more to this than anyone knows. Just a hunch, though.
Either way, give yourselves some more time if you’re heading to the Coliseum.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 50
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)