Sep 16, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
If you’re going to an A’s game, leave your flasks at home. Or else get a plastic one, but eww. Anyway:
#Athletics to start new league mandated security measures on Thursday night, with metal detectors used at all entrance points.
— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) September 16, 2013
Later on it was clarified by Bill Shaikin that this is not, actually, a league-wide thing. The A’s are making this call themselves:
To those asking: A’s announced airport-style screening would start due to “league-wide mandate.” There is no such mandate. Team makes call.
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) September 16, 2013
It’ll be interesting to see if this is a test for wider use or if it really is just the A’s ratcheting up security. For what it’s worth, Slusser is one of the best in the business so she had to have heard that from someone. Shaikin is too, so it’s not like he’s likely to be misinformed either. I bet there is something more to this than anyone knows. Just a hunch, though.
Either way, give yourselves some more time if you’re heading to the Coliseum.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)