Sep 16, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
If you’re going to an A’s game, leave your flasks at home. Or else get a plastic one, but eww. Anyway:
#Athletics to start new league mandated security measures on Thursday night, with metal detectors used at all entrance points.
— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) September 16, 2013
Later on it was clarified by Bill Shaikin that this is not, actually, a league-wide thing. The A’s are making this call themselves:
To those asking: A’s announced airport-style screening would start due to “league-wide mandate.” There is no such mandate. Team makes call.
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) September 16, 2013
It’ll be interesting to see if this is a test for wider use or if it really is just the A’s ratcheting up security. For what it’s worth, Slusser is one of the best in the business so she had to have heard that from someone. Shaikin is too, so it’s not like he’s likely to be misinformed either. I bet there is something more to this than anyone knows. Just a hunch, though.
Either way, give yourselves some more time if you’re heading to the Coliseum.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 32
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 40
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)