The Athletics are going to make you go through a metal detector

Sep 16, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

If you’re going to an A’s game, leave your flasks at home. Or else get a plastic one, but eww. Anyway:

Later on it was clarified by Bill Shaikin that this is not, actually, a league-wide thing. The A’s are making this call themselves:

It’ll be interesting to see if this is a test for wider use or if it really is just the A’s ratcheting up security. For what it’s worth, Slusser is one of the best in the business so she had to have heard that from someone. Shaikin is too, so it’s not like he’s likely to be misinformed either. I bet there is something more to this than anyone knows. Just a hunch, though.

Either way, give yourselves some more time if you’re heading to the Coliseum.

1. vanmorrissey - Sep 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

With what happened in DC Shipyard, don’t think too many people will complain. That, and the NFL’s bag rule, quit complaining dummies, it’s for your own good.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

If it was for my own good…. they’d use machines that don’t cause cancer.

If it was for my own good…. it wouldn’t be a money grab by certain lobbyists.

If it was for my own good…. they’d use trained dogs and/or question/answer type person assessment to determine whether I was a legitimate threat.

But it’s okay because I’m a dummy.

• American of African Descent - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Any society that would give up a liberty to gain some temporary security will deserve neither and lose both.

I’ll take my chances, thank you very much. The only way to ensure no one carries a weapon is to do a full cavity search . . . but I’m sure you’d be ok with that, vanmorrissey because “it’s for your own good.”

2. bringbackkosar - Sep 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Why not, I attended a game there this summer and it feels like you’re entering Alcatraz when you take the chain-link and barbed-wire covered walkway from BART station to the stadium. Please Oakland get the A’s and Raiders new digs!

• scatterbrian - Sep 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Fuck the Raiders. Give the A’s a new house and let the Raiders take the decrepit pile they’ve been ruining for the last 18 years.

3. lingerie00yardsale - Sep 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Often times these metal detectors are calibrated to only go off for LARGE bits of metal (i.e. guns). It most likely won’t be like the airport screenings where you have to remove belt buckles, rings, bracelets, et. al.

So, Craig, as long as you don’t have too much other metal…that flask might be no problem to get in!

(I have smuggled metal microphones and recording devices containing metal through both “metal detectors” and have been wanded while hiding the same.)

4. fearthehoody - Sep 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

They do this at Staples Center every game for the Clippers and Kings. No big deal

5. nsauser - Sep 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Maybe the security staff got tired of taking the metal detectors down after Raider games?

But seriously, the A’s and Raiders need upgraded facilities.

6. scatterbrian - Sep 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

If this isn’t league-mandated — and it doesn’t sound like it is — this could have nothing to do with the A’s or baseball and actually be a dry-run for Raiders games.

• 18thstreet - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Rob Neyer posted something about this yesterday, and noted that the A’s were asking fans to arrive 90 minutes before the game started. I’m basically repeating what he said, but that means a person with a job (or without one, too) would need to show up at 5:30. Ridiculous. People have lives outside of baseball games. Heck, when I bring my kids (6 and 4), I try to show up pretty darn close to the first pitch because their boredom threshold is pretty high. Or low. Whichever one means that they wouldn’t be willing to wait 90 minutes for a game to start.

• juicejuicer - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

“If there is a specific threat then I have no problem with this. What I oppose is the idea that this would be done just in case because you can never be too safe etc. ”

So, you’re saying that it’s better to be reactive than it is to be proactive?

I have zero problem with the ‘just in case’ scenario, personally. I know many people disagree but, I would hate to be at the ballgame and happen to be sitting next to the guy that decided today is the day he’s going to make the world pay for any perceived injustice.
        Is it a hassle and inconvenience? Sure it is! But like any other business. If I don’t like their poilicy, I don’t have to be a patron. If I make the choice to purchase a ticket I know ahead of time what I’m in for.

• 18thstreet - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

A person with guns walked into a military installation yesterday and killed a dozen people.

If you’re under the impression, after an event like that, that there’s such a thing as a level of security that can prevent these random and terrible events can happen anywhere at any time — even with all the security in the world — then there’s really nothing to discuss.

But if the Oakland Athletics, via the FBI or the Alameda County Sheriff (etc.) have specific information and a credible threat, then they should respond accordingly.

• gloccamorra - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

18thstreet, a former Navy man with a security clearance walked into the Washington Navy Yard and stole an AR-15 from a Navy gun locker and shot people. It was that REAL stolen-from on-site assault weapon that enabled him to kill two guards and shoot many others. Gate screening wouldn’t have helped.

7. steelers88 - Sep 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

The pirates started this earlier in the year while I agree with it I also think it’s stupid. I think it’s stupid because the metal detector people don’t even check everyone! What’s the point of having a metal detecting system if not everyone doesn’t get scanned?

8. nananatman - Sep 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I heard she was the best in the business.

9. spacemaker101 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM

There trying to make the stadium a safer place for family and kids and all you say is people have life outside of baseball and your kids can’t wait 90 min for the game… Seriously well don’t take them to the baseball game damn.

• 18thstreet - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I don’t bring my kids to major league games. There’s no way they’d sit through 9 innings in seats that I can afford to buy.

I bring them to minor-league games which are cheaper and more convenient. And, yes, if they make the hassles big enough, I’ll stop going, too. I’m not sure who you’re arguing with, because it’s not me.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win