Sep 16, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
Not that it’s news — Jeff Loria is a horrible, horrible baseball executive and probably a horrible person — but Ken Rosenthal has the most thorough look at the rot in the Marlins front office I’ve seen so far.
Larry Beinfest, Mike Hill and David Samson are all the men responsible, by most estimates, for making the Marlins respectable in past seasons when they had no right to be. They’ve made the most of massive roster gutting and have come up with young stars like Jose Fernandez and Giancarlo Stanton which at least provide hope. So of course Loria is jerking them around, leaning toward firing them but not doing it yet, letting them dangle as they ask for clarification on their status.
If they are fired, they will almost find jobs in better organizations and they’ll do well. Maybe Loria knows this, thus the jerking them around. Either way, he’s the absolute worst.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)