Sep 16, 2013, 9:26 AM EST
It’s not often that I agree with John Harper of the Daily News, but I think his latest column is pretty much on point. The point: the Yankees can’t take a wait-and-see approach with Derek Jeter‘s health and effectiveness. They need to get an everyday shortstop this winter, making it official that Jeter will be a DH or, possibly, a third baseman next year. And, more importantly, they need to tell him this soon and get him on board with it.
The idea is every bit as political as it is baseball-related. If Jeter is quoted widely this offseason as saying he’s ready to return to short, the Yankees’ efforts to get an insurance policy shortstop — which they’d certainly need — will be seen as undermining Jeter or trying to push him out. If they sit down with him, however, and tell him that he is not the starting shortstop, that drama evaporates and, instead of people saying that Jeter is toast, he’ll get a lot of favorable Cal Ripken and/or Paul Molitor comparisons. Which, frankly, he should have gotten years ago when he should have moved to third base while Alex Rodriguez took over short, but that’s ancient history.
Harper reports many scouts and sources telling him that Stephen Drew is a Yankees target. Could be. Doesn’t matter. The idea is that it’s highly unlikely that Jeter will be an effective and/or healthy shortstop next year, the Yankees don’t need another season with a black hole at shortstop and they certainly don’t need an offseason in which they are portrayed as pushing Jeter aside. And frankly, Jeter doesn’t need that either.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)