Sep 16, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Last week the Tigers announced that Jhonny Peralta would start working out with the team again in preparation for potentially coming back from his 50-game suspension for the playoffs, but if he does rejoin the team apparently it won’t be at shortstop.
Peralta has been the Tigers’ starting shortstop for the past three seasons, starting zero games at another position, but rookie Jose Iglesias has been a huge defensive upgrade since being acquired from the Red Sox to fill in for Peralta. And so since Iglesias obviously isn’t going anywhere, Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers will have Peralta play left field in instructional league games to prepare for his return
Peralta has never played the outfield before in 11 seasons as a big leaguer, but third base (Miguel Cabrera) and first base (Prince Fielder) aren’t options and Detroit could certainly use his right-handed bat in the lineup. Before the suspension Peralta hit .305 with 11 homers and an .822 OPS in 104 games, whereas the Tigers’ left fielders (mostly Andy Dirks, with some Nick Castellanos mixed in lately) have combined to hit .263 with a .718 OPS this season.
It’s also worth noting that Peralta is a 31-year-old impending free agent, so just in terms of market value he has quite a bit riding on whether teams still view him as a shortstop or not.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 7
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 36
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)