Sep 16, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Last week the Tigers announced that Jhonny Peralta would start working out with the team again in preparation for potentially coming back from his 50-game suspension for the playoffs, but if he does rejoin the team apparently it won’t be at shortstop.
Peralta has been the Tigers’ starting shortstop for the past three seasons, starting zero games at another position, but rookie Jose Iglesias has been a huge defensive upgrade since being acquired from the Red Sox to fill in for Peralta. And so since Iglesias obviously isn’t going anywhere, Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers will have Peralta play left field in instructional league games to prepare for his return
Peralta has never played the outfield before in 11 seasons as a big leaguer, but third base (Miguel Cabrera) and first base (Prince Fielder) aren’t options and Detroit could certainly use his right-handed bat in the lineup. Before the suspension Peralta hit .305 with 11 homers and an .822 OPS in 104 games, whereas the Tigers’ left fielders (mostly Andy Dirks, with some Nick Castellanos mixed in lately) have combined to hit .263 with a .718 OPS this season.
It’s also worth noting that Peralta is a 31-year-old impending free agent, so just in terms of market value he has quite a bit riding on whether teams still view him as a shortstop or not.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)