Sep 16, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
It’s not happening under the best of circumstances, but the Royals are calling up one of their top pitching prospects to help their postseason efforts.
CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler reports that Royals will call up prospect right-hander Yordano Ventura to start tomorrow night against the Indians. He’ll pitch in place of Danny Duffy, who was diagnosed with a “very mild flexor strain” following an MRI.
Ventura, 22, posted a 3.14 ERA and 155/53 K/BB ratio over 134 2/3 innings this season between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha. While he’s listed at just 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds, he’s capable of hitting 100 mph with his fastball.
Duffy, who is in his first year back from Tommy John surgery, hasn’t pitched since September 7. As Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star notes, the good news is that there’s no structural damage in his elbow. Still, it’s possible he’ll be shut down for the rest of the year at this point.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)