Sep 16, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
It’s not happening under the best of circumstances, but the Royals are calling up one of their top pitching prospects to help their postseason efforts.
CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler reports that Royals will call up prospect right-hander Yordano Ventura to start tomorrow night against the Indians. He’ll pitch in place of Danny Duffy, who was diagnosed with a “very mild flexor strain” following an MRI.
Ventura, 22, posted a 3.14 ERA and 155/53 K/BB ratio over 134 2/3 innings this season between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha. While he’s listed at just 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds, he’s capable of hitting 100 mph with his fastball.
Duffy, who is in his first year back from Tommy John surgery, hasn’t pitched since September 7. As Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star notes, the good news is that there’s no structural damage in his elbow. Still, it’s possible he’ll be shut down for the rest of the year at this point.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)