Sep 17, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Well that’s something one doesn’t expect to see every day.
The Nationals sprinted out to a 3-0 lead in the first game of today’s doubleheader against the Braves. Then Mike Minor settled down and didn’t allow another run through the sixth. The Braves scored runs in the sixth and seventh to bring it to 3-2.
In the top of the eighth inning Evan Gattis hit a two-run homer off Tyler Clippard. Braves up 4-3. An Ian Desmond error in the ninth gave Atlanta another run and a 5-3 lead. With Craig Kimbrel waiting to come in. Game over, right?
Wrong. Here’s what Kimbrel did:
- Issued a walk to Adam LaRoche
- Allowed an infield single to Wilson Ramos
- Issued a walk to Anthony Rendon
- Allowed a run-scoring groundout to Chad Tracy, making it 5-4
- Induced a ground ball to short that went right through Andrelton Simmons‘ wickets to allow the tying and winning runs to score.
Let me repeat: the shortstop who may be having the best defensive season in baseball history had one go right between the pipes. The closer who had never given up three runs in 225 major league appearances gave up three runs. And with that the game was lost.
Kimbrel was bound to blow a save eventually. Simmons is not going to make every play. But boy howdy, you’d not make a lot of money betting on that outcome happening very often. Heck, you’d make more money selling unicorn pelts.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)