Sep 17, 2013, 10:32 AM EST
I wrote that thing yesterday about how maybe, just maybe there is more going on to make Boston awesome this year than Jonny Gomes‘ beard. The radio folks in Boston didn’t like that very much. I was taken to task on some show last night and then, this morning, Dennis and Callahan of WEEI asked me to come on to defend myself. So I did:
Best part was when they asked me to name a team that had done well with players not getting along in the past 40 years. I cited the early-to-mid 70s Oakland A’s and was about to cite the 1977-78 Yankees, but they cut me off and changed it to “the past 30 years.” They didn’t give me a chance to mention the 1986 Red Sox or mets or the 2002 Giants. Oh well.
From there on it just devolved into their assertions that Jonny Gomes was a good luck charm while they rarely let me talk. At one point they said that Adrian Gonzalez is magically no longer a team cancer because he’s back in California and players from California are happier in California. I pointed out that Jonny Gomes was from California but that didn’t go over too well because, you know, facts. I didn’t get a chance to mention that Gomes’ “wins everywhere he plays” only works when you cut out the bulk of his career spent in Tampa Bay with the Devil Rays.
But hey, just because they call it talk radio doesn’t mean everyone gets to talk. There are some folks who, when they invite someone on who doesn’t agree with their nonsense, change it to “only I talk” radio.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)