Jerry Seinfeld to call the Mets game tonight

Sep 17, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Keith Hernandez Jerry Seinfeld

What’s the deal with sacrifice bunts? I mean, who are these people calling for them all of the time? The only thing you sacrifice is your chance to score some runs.

[funky bass breakdown -- cut to exterior of Monk's Diner]

At least that’s how I’m going to imagine it’ll go tonight when Jerry Seinfeld — a huge, huge Mets fan — joins some combination of Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling in the SNY booth to call the Mets-Giants game.

Zack Wheeler is going for the Mets. He used to be a Giants prospect but they traded him away for a Carlos Beltran rental a couple of years ago. I know insult humor is not Seinfeld’s forte, but I’d like to think he has some zingers about that at the ready.

This isn’t Seinfeld’s first time at this rodeo. He called a game with Hernandez in 2010 too:

He had a suit on then. This time I’d like to think he’ll wear a big, oversized blue button-down shirt tucked into a pair of tight acid-washed jeans and a gleaming pair of white sneakers, because the 90s were the best decade ever and I miss them ever so much.

Seinfeld will appear on the pregame show at 6 p.m. ET. First pitch is scheduled for 7:10.

1. 1ambetterthanyou - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My guess is he will suck and prove once again why past their prime celebrities should just fade away once and for all.

• pizzadawg - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM

boo this man

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM

It must be so terrible being so angry and miserable all the time, especially when it’s to the point where you have to go online and share your misery with the world.

• jm91rs - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You still haven’t gone away? Faking sick again to stay home from school and use your mom’s internet?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Look everyone! Mr. Positive is back today. Wow.
      Have you considered therapy?

• badintent - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM

He had shock treatment. Kim Kardashian sat on his face for 4 hours.LOL

• coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I’m wondering who or what you were looking at when you chose your name. First thought that came to mind was a big, steaming pile of fresh dog crap. I’m going with that.

Now get back to your SpongeBob

2. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Hopefully Shaun Marcum takes it easy on him.

3. sdelmonte - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I am probably in the minority on this one, but I never cared much for Seinfeld. Yes, it’s great that some celebrities are Mets fans, and he seems like a decent person and all. But I just don’t think he’s that funny. And I can’t imagine he will add much to the game.

Then again, it’s not like anyone but hardcore Mets fans are watching now. Though that could mean they want distractions from the game even less if they are watching. Lacking cable, I won’t be one of them either way.

• 1ambetterthanyou - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM

No you aren’t. He wasn’t funny on his show, and he won’t be funny calling a baseball game. The only people that will find him funny are the sheep that can’t think for themselves.

• lifer124 - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I know it makes you feel good to think that anyone that doesn’t share your taste in comedy is a sheep unable to form their own thoughts. However, my own thought is that comedy is unique to everyone and we all can enjoy whatever we want. Judging by your tone I find it hard to believe you’ve ever had a giggle in your entire life, so I won’t put much stock in what you do or do not find funny.

• jm91rs - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Jerry’s hundreds of millions of dollars would disagree with your opinion on his humor.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I always always kind of “meh” about it. It seemed like a very New York show.

• sdelmonte - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM

It was, but in all the wrong ways to me. Jerry and his gang felt like the sort of people I try to avoid in my life here.

Give me the cast of White Collar instead.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I guess I kinda felt like it was packed with inside jokes — less funny if you’re not an insider.

• Reflex - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

You two encapsulated my feelings on Seinfeld pretty well. I could see the humor, I understood the jokes, but I just did not find it funny. I felt the general formula was Jerry and his gang finding a few victims to mock, then going on and on and on about why those people were idiots. It just was not funny to me.

Best comedy of the 90’s was News Radio, hands down. Well, the first four seasons of it anyways.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM

You had me until “News Radio.”

• Reflex - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Phil Hartman was a genius, and that cast worked together extremely well. It doesn’t hurt that I was a radio DJ for several years in the mid-90’s and the first two seasons had a lot of very good in-jokes for anyone who had actually worked at a radio station.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM

See above on inside jokes.

• Reflex - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I don’t mind inside jokes so long as something is sufficiently funny even if you are not an insider. You just need to watch the show with me, everyone who has done so has ended up a huge fan.

Or maybe I’m just trying to get you on my couch..

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM

/blushes

• yahmule - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM

The comedic premise of Seinfeld was that they were four selfish, needy people and not necessarily all that likable. This was confirmed in exhaustive detail in the final episode. Great show, though, except when they went overboard on the coincidences. Sometimes it got to be a crutch for the writers.

Phil Hartman was a wonderful talent and he seemed like a genuinely nice man. I miss him a lot, although I didn’t watch News Radio.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I thought they ripped the finale off of Murphy Brown.

• Reflex - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I got the premise, but that’s the thing, they were people I wouldn’t want to know in the real world so why would I give them 30 mins a week on my tv? Rather just avoid people like that altogether.

• yahmule - Sep 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Because there are no negative consequences to knowing people like that in a fictional setting?

• Reflex - Sep 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Aside from the feeling of irritation that such people create whether their setting is real or fictional?

There is nothing enjoyable for me in watching bad people do nasty things in a supposedly comedic setting. Its not funny.

4. aceshigh11 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I DESPISE KEITH HERNANDEZ!

“Nice game, pretty boy.”

5. jericoc - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Never seen an episode of Seinfeld. Couldn’t they get one of our other two celebrity fans: Chris Rock or Kevin James?

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Jon Stewart

• kevinbnyc - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I’m hoping you’re either 12 years old or from another planet.

• jericoc - Sep 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Neither. Everyone else on this planet does not share your tastes or sensibilities. Mocking me won’t change that fact …

• kevinbnyc - Sep 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I wasn’t mocking you, and you don’t have to have the same tastes as I do. It’s just amazing that you’ve never seen an episode of a show that’s been on TV at least once a week since 1989.

6. clarenceoveur - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM

No way he gives Keith a lift to the airport after the game

7. hushbrother - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Jerry calling a game? Who are the ad wizards who came up with that idea?

And what’s the deal with Count Chocula? I mean are we supposed to be AFRAID of this guy?

8. Liam - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Kiss her, you’re a baseball player god damn it.

9. freerayray52 - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I heard he was going to wear the puffy shirt.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Couple of years ago I was in the Smithstonian Museum of American History and sure as hell the puffy shirt from that episode was on display with a script signed by the cast. Pretty funny and cool.

10. thesteelskirt - Sep 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Too much time on their smartphone while taking a dump has grown some serious haters. If ghostbusters was made today the streets oozing hate and evil would be replaced by the Internet.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Such an excellent point.

11. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I wish the girl with the “They’re real, and they’re spectacular” pair would come on with him. Some of the Seinfeld episodes, like ‘The Contest’ were just absolutely spectacular themselves.

12. hojo20 - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I hope the “Chucker” also makes an appearance with Seinfeld in the booth.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3476)