Sep 17, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Scutaro had an MRI exam on his injured left pinkie finger, which sustained tendon damage when he was hit by a pitch June 11 in Pittsburgh. The finger began bothering Scutaro again over the weekend in Los Angeles; he exited Sunday’s game after two innings and isn’t in the lineup for Tuesday’s series opener against the Mets at Citi Field.
Scutaro, 37, wants to keep playing. He did his normal pregame work, played catch and hit in the cage Tuesday. But Giants manager Bruce Bochy acknowledged it might be time to tell the veteran second baseman to begin resting up for next year.
The MRI results are not yet available, but Scutaro was already diagnosed in June with potentially-permanent tendon damage in his pinkie and the Giants only have 11 games remaining on their regular-season schedule.
Scutaro has a .729 OPS in 127 games this summer after signing a three-year, $20 million offseason deal.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre hit for the cycle tonight against the Astros. And he needed just five innings to do it.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
It’s August 3 and the Mets are all alone in first place in the National League East.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Mike Hessman is the new minor league home run king.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg has been sidelined since July 4 with a left oblique strain, but it sounds like he’s rounding into form for the stretch run.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
The Braves are calling him day-to-day, but these type of injuries are notoriously tricky.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Clayton Richard tossed six innings of one-run ball in a win over the Padres on Sunday, but he was designated for assignment by the Cubs today for the second time in the past two weeks.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
Matz impressed over his first two starts in the majors before going down with a partial tear of his lat muscle, but he’s starting to ramp things up in preparation for his return.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:32 PM EDT
Kipnis is expected to miss two to three weeks.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Cubs rookie third baseman Kris Bryant was forced to exit Sunday’s game against the Brewers after feeling dizzy on a hard slide into second base, but he’s back in the starting lineup for tonight’s series opener against the Pirates.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Capps has quietly been one of the game’s most dominant relievers this season.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
Out since late May with a neck injury.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:14 PM EDT
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
He is now calling Jose Bautista “a good man and a great human being.”
Aug 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
The newest Blue Jay struck out 11 in eight innings of work.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Panik’s breakout season has been put on hold.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
Dating back to 2013 he’s hit .337 with a .900 OPS off lefties.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
Power-hitting third baseman/first baseman.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT
It’s not necessarily likely, but since it isn’t a torn UCL there’s at least a chance he could make it back.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
He’s spent this season at Triple-A, batting .260 with 13 homers and 11 steals.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Time for a little Loria bashing to brighten up your Monday.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)