Mariano Rivera is Alex Rodriguez’s role model

Sep 17, 2013, 11:05 AM EST

Mariano Rivera Getty Getty Images

Alex Rodriguez on Mariano Rivera, after calling him not just one of the best pitchers ever, but one of the best athletes of all time in any sport:

. . . the biggest compliment or the biggest way I can share with all our fans and specially Mariano Rivera fans is that when the moment gets really, really, really tough, and New Yorkers can appreciate this about Mariano, the best Mariano Rivera always stands out. And he’s my hero and a role model and a dear friend.

On the one hand: I think we’ve stumbled upon a legitimately, observable and unequivocal flaw with Alex Rodriguez apart from PED stuff:  his being unable to actually follow the example of his role models. Unless there’s a lot we don’t know about Mariano Rivera’s example, anyway.

On the other, more serious hand: I think it’s notable that Rodriguez, for all of his faults, has rarely if ever that I can remember said a bad thing about his teammates. Maybe I’m just blanking on something, but for all of his controversies, he hasn’t been involved in specifically clubhouse controversies. They are PR things and PED things and clashes with the front office, but I cant’ recall him slagging on teammates or managers.

Anyway: waiting for someone to go after A-Rod for “using the good name of Mariano Rivera” to cynically improve his own personal brand and PR profile or something. You know it’s coming.

1. Kevin S. - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM

No, there hasn’t been any of that stuff. A-Rod actually is a very good clubhouse guy. Supportive of teammates, takes young players under his wing to mentor them and help them out in general… I mean, in the actual clubhouse, he’s a model teammate. It’s why the whole idea that the other 24 guys would turn their backs on him was always a matter of media projection, and why Steve Phillips’ 24-and-1 comments after he lost out on the first A-Rod bidding war was nothing more than sour grapes.

• peymax1693 - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM

The only negative comments I can think of came from Joe Torre when he claimed that A-Rod’s Yankee teammates called him ‘A-Fraud’, supposedly because they believed his whole public persona was an act. Interestingly enough, I have no recollection of any of his Yankee teammates confirming Torre’s allegation.

• badintent - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM

The confirmation came from Alex’s reflection in the mirror as he said, ” Mirror , mirror on the wall, who’s the biggest fraud of them all. ?” Arodless=Bernie Madoof

• cackalackyank - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Not only is he a good clubhouse guy, I hear
      he knows about this little clinic in Miami where…..

2. baseballici0us - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

No wonder Mo wants to retire.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Well, you can’t really control who admires you. And that, ladies, is why you don’t pose for Hustler.

• Reflex - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Where was this advice when I needed it yesterday?

3. apkyletexas - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

@Craig – “Unless there’s a lot we don’t know about Mariano Rivera’s example, anyway.”

What? That Mo likes to strip down to his underwear and kiss mirrors? That’s clearly where A-Rod gets it from.

4. paperlions - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

People commonly fall short in attempts to emulate role models. If role models were easy to emulate, they wouldn’t be necessary. For example, Christ is the role model for Christians, who spend their entire lives endeavoring to emulate that him as a role model, and most (but not all) fail horribly in this attempt in just about every conceivable way…..and no, I am not picking on Christians or religious people, just using it as a familiar example of a role model and how hard it can be to emulate one that is worthy of emulation.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

So you’re saying we should set the bar lower?

• Reflex - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I’ve been failing to emulate Lenny Dykstra for years now.

• paperlions - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Nope, just saying that ARod doing a poor job of emulating a role model makes him normal.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I know you’re not saying I’m in anyway like History’s Greatest Monster.

/sniffs

• paperlions - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Of course not, I just assumed that you are a role model to be emulated, rather than an average Jane that does the emulating.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Oh, yes, I’m the original. You’re so smart.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM

That’s why Gary Player is my role model…much more manageable. I think I could pose nude when I’m almost 80.

• historiophiliac - Sep 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

No offense, but when I’m almost 80, I’ll probably still prefer the Harvey pic.

• dkchi - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

You trying to say Jesus Christ can’t hit a curveball?

• paperlions - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I think he would have sufficient empathy for both the pitcher and the ball that he would swing and miss on purpose.

5. raysfan1 - Sep 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

How dare he! History’s greatest monster sullying Rivera’s name by uttering it! Blasphemer!

6. badintent - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Can we just tied the Red Sux GM to a tree and let Mo throw a 93 Cutter at his nuts for the stupid video the Boston Weak showed at Mo’s night.??

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4973)
  2. M. Kemp (3498)
  3. J. Kang (2669)
  4. J. Upton (2611)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2610)
  1. C. McGehee (2588)