Sep 17, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Astros catcher Jason Castro, who has a long history of knee problems that once threatened his career, has been shut down for the remainder of the season.
Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that the injury is officially being called right knee discomfort, but Castro has been placed on the disabled list and will miss the final two weeks. Castro had a cyst removed from the same knee on September 3 and has been limited to just two games since then, both of them as a designated hitter.
It’s an unfortunate way for Castro’s season to end, because he’s established himself as a long-term building block for the Astros by staying healthy enough to play 120 games and hitting .276 with 18 homers, 35 doubles, and an .835 OPS that ranks third among all catchers behind only Joe Mauer and Buster Posey.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)