Sep 17, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Via MLB.com’s Rangers beat writer T.R. Sullivan:
Manager Ron Washington said he has no fears about his job. General manager Jon Daniels said Washington should have no concerns about his job.
Daniels said he “fully expects” Washington to be back as manager next season.
Sullivan’s story was published before Texas routed the Rays 7-1 on Tuesday night at Tropicana Field.
The Rangers have been in a free fall over the past couple of weeks and are suddenly fighting for their lives in the chaotic American League Wild Card race, but Washington has a 602-520 record since taking over as manager in 2007 and he guided the club to back-to-back World Series appearances in 2010 and 2011.
Maybe the story changes if the Rangers miss the playoffs. And maybe that point was already obvious.
But for now Washington looks pretty safe.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)