Sep 17, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Via MLB.com’s Rangers beat writer T.R. Sullivan:
Manager Ron Washington said he has no fears about his job. General manager Jon Daniels said Washington should have no concerns about his job.
Daniels said he “fully expects” Washington to be back as manager next season.
Sullivan’s story was published before Texas routed the Rays 7-1 on Tuesday night at Tropicana Field.
The Rangers have been in a free fall over the past couple of weeks and are suddenly fighting for their lives in the chaotic American League Wild Card race, but Washington has a 602-520 record since taking over as manager in 2007 and he guided the club to back-to-back World Series appearances in 2010 and 2011.
Maybe the story changes if the Rangers miss the playoffs. And maybe that point was already obvious.
But for now Washington looks pretty safe.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 237
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)