Sep 17, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Via MLB.com’s Rangers beat writer T.R. Sullivan:
Manager Ron Washington said he has no fears about his job. General manager Jon Daniels said Washington should have no concerns about his job.
Daniels said he “fully expects” Washington to be back as manager next season.
Sullivan’s story was published before Texas routed the Rays 7-1 on Tuesday night at Tropicana Field.
The Rangers have been in a free fall over the past couple of weeks and are suddenly fighting for their lives in the chaotic American League Wild Card race, but Washington has a 602-520 record since taking over as manager in 2007 and he guided the club to back-to-back World Series appearances in 2010 and 2011.
Maybe the story changes if the Rangers miss the playoffs. And maybe that point was already obvious.
But for now Washington looks pretty safe.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (160)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)