Sep 17, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
As first reported by Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have officially promoted shortstop prospect Tim Beckham from Triple-A Durham. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster, injured outfielder Brandon Guyer was put on the 60-day disabled list.
Beckham, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 MLB Amateur Draft, could see semi-regular action down the stretch for the suddenly-struggling Rays. He hit .276/.342/.387 with four home runs and 17 stolen bases in 122 games this season at the Triple-A level and can be a useful pinch-runner at the very least.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 63
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)