Sep 17, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
As first reported by Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have officially promoted shortstop prospect Tim Beckham from Triple-A Durham. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster, injured outfielder Brandon Guyer was put on the 60-day disabled list.
Beckham, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 MLB Amateur Draft, could see semi-regular action down the stretch for the suddenly-struggling Rays. He hit .276/.342/.387 with four home runs and 17 stolen bases in 122 games this season at the Triple-A level and can be a useful pinch-runner at the very least.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)