Sep 17, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
As first reported by Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have officially promoted shortstop prospect Tim Beckham from Triple-A Durham. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster, injured outfielder Brandon Guyer was put on the 60-day disabled list.
Beckham, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 MLB Amateur Draft, could see semi-regular action down the stretch for the suddenly-struggling Rays. He hit .276/.342/.387 with four home runs and 17 stolen bases in 122 games this season at the Triple-A level and can be a useful pinch-runner at the very least.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)