Rays call up shortstop prospect Tim Beckham

Sep 17, 2013, 11:27 PM EST

tim beckham pose getty Getty Images

As first reported by Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have officially promoted shortstop prospect Tim Beckham from Triple-A Durham. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster, injured outfielder Brandon Guyer was put on the 60-day disabled list.

Beckham, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 MLB Amateur Draft, could see semi-regular action down the stretch for the suddenly-struggling Rays. He hit .276/.342/.387 with four home runs and 17 stolen bases in 122 games this season at the Triple-A level and can be a useful pinch-runner at the very least.

The Rays lost 7-1 to the Rangers on Tuesday night in a poorly-attended game at Tropicana Field and are in a frantic battle with several different teams for the two American League Wild Card spots.

1. dondada10 - Sep 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I’m the only one who didn’t know Tim Beckham was black?

• cur68 - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:36 AM

2. khmerson562 - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Bust

• Tom Froemming - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I’d say it’s a little early for that. The kid’s only 23-years-old. Sure, he hasn’t developed like they’d though, but he can still put together a long career if he keeps improving.

3. margaretcochran - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:46 AM

I must give my thanks to Ashley, who posted here last week comment about system she uses to earn online… I’ve got my FIRST check total of $550, pretty cool.! I am so exicted, this is the first time i actually earned something. I am going to work even harder new and i can’t wait for next week payment. You can try it for yourself
    >>> http:\\x­­d­­5.­­ℕ­­e­­­t/4293

• pappageorgio - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You can also find this guy’s awsome stuff at…..

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I never thought a bot would be the smallest jackass out of the initial comments. Thanks first two commentators!

4. drewsylvania - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Looks like a mediocre bat. Is the glove good?

• buddaley - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I don’t think so. He has not been moved off shortstop entirely, but has played some second base the last couple of years leading some people to think his ultimate role will be as a utility infielder. Had he been a second round pick, many would consider him a decent prospect, but as a 1-1, especially with Posey available that year, he is seen as a major disappointment.

• richarddansky - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM

He’ll make spectacular plays but occasionally clanks the routine ones when he has to rush. Bat is mediocre, but improves significantly when he’s not hacking at the first pitch, and his speed and baserunning were plus.

5. jm91rs - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

It seems crazy to me that a number one pick could take so long to get to the big leagues. This sport is tough, a lot of guys who dominate all their lives are really humbled when they start getting paid.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I hear you. And to think…virtually all of the guys in the Minor leagues dominated at various points throughout their lives. It really does speak to how tough baseball is.

• yahmule - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Top prospects bust in every sport for a myriad of reasons.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

No doubt. I was really just agreeing with jm’s larger point about these dudes dominating their whole careers then reaching the professional level and suddenly becoming stagnant. Of course…they are up against everyone else who is/was equally dominant. But your point is taken. It’s tough to maintain that level regardless of the sport.

6. travishenrykid - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I thought he was Gordon Beckham’s brother.

• wlschneider09 - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

He was Jeremy Beckham’s brother, fwiw.

• straightouttavtown - Sep 19, 2013 at 3:31 AM

He’s David Beckham’s son

7. wsp712 - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I

8. wsp712 - Sep 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I grew up next door to Tim and his family. There was not one single day that Tim and both of his brothers weren’t outside playing baseball in the backyard! All 3 Beckham boy are exceptional ball players but Tim leads the pack. I played ball with his older brother and we went off to the same college so I always had the inside tip on how Tim was doing. He was drafted straight out of high school (18 years old) with a hefty signing bonus over $6 million. The kid has never let it go to his head, didn’t/doesn’t flaunt his money, always gives back to the community and STILL works just as hard today as he did in high school and anyone that knows him knows his the first one in, last one out. He going to make the Rays very happy because I’ve known him my whole life and I’ve watch him blow people away at every level coming up and he will do the same at the major league level. Mark my words, he will have a very successful MLB career, period.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5079)