Sep 17, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels had a scout in Japan last week to watch Masahiro Tanaka pitch and are “considering making a run” at signing him.
And they may have an improved chance at him given the reported changes to the posting system we noted yesterday. Assuming the changes go through as reported, the Angels will merely need be one of the top three bidders for the right to negotiate with Tanaka, not the top.
And Tanaka may be worth it. He’s 24, is 21-0 with a 1.24 ERA and 155/27 K/BB ratio over 188 innings this season with the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 47
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)