Sep 17, 2013, 4:06 PM EST
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels had a scout in Japan last week to watch Masahiro Tanaka pitch and are “considering making a run” at signing him.
And they may have an improved chance at him given the reported changes to the posting system we noted yesterday. Assuming the changes go through as reported, the Angels will merely need be one of the top three bidders for the right to negotiate with Tanaka, not the top.
And Tanaka may be worth it. He’s 24, is 21-0 with a 1.24 ERA and 155/27 K/BB ratio over 188 innings this season with the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)