Sep 17, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels had a scout in Japan last week to watch Masahiro Tanaka pitch and are “considering making a run” at signing him.
And they may have an improved chance at him given the reported changes to the posting system we noted yesterday. Assuming the changes go through as reported, the Angels will merely need be one of the top three bidders for the right to negotiate with Tanaka, not the top.
And Tanaka may be worth it. He’s 24, is 21-0 with a 1.24 ERA and 155/27 K/BB ratio over 188 innings this season with the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League.
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 0
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 33
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23