And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Sep 18, 2013, 6:18 AM EDT

Ian Kinsler Getty Images

Rangers 7, Rays 1: The Rangers finally snap the skid. Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus homered and drove in three runs each to pull Texas back into a tie with Tampa Bay at the top of the wild card standings.

Indians 5, Royals 3: Kansas City took a 3-0 lead into the sixth with the Indians being able to do little if anything against rookie Yordano Ventura. They were able to do much more after it was handed off to the normally-reliable K.C. pen, however, scoring five-unanswered runs. Not that the pen was used optimally here. At least one of the runs came when Ned Yost stuck with Ventura a bit too long. Others came when the Royals failed to match the leverage of the situation with the talent of the relievers available. Cleveland is a half game back in the wild card. Kansas City three and a half.

Orioles 3, Red Sox 2: The O’s committed a bunch of errors and Scott Feldman walked six dudes but they somehow figured out how to get to Koji UeharaChris Davis hit his 51st homer, giving him sole possession of the Orioles’ team record. The Orioles are two back. Despite the loss the Red Sox’ magic number for the AL East is now three thanks to the Rays loss.

Blue Jays 2, Yankees 0: Four straight losses for the fading Yankees as they were totally stymied by R.A. Dickey. Homers from Colby Rasmus and Rajai Davis were all the Jays got but all the Jays needed.

Cardinals 11, Rockies 4: The Cardinals break the first place tie in the NL Central by tattooing the Rockies. Four hits including a two-run homer for Matt Holliday, who also robbed Todd Helton of extra bases on a play in the field. It was 10-0 before Colorado even put a run on the board.

Padres 5, Pirates 2: San Diego continues to play spoiler, taking its second straight from Pittsburgh. Jed Gyorko had three hits including a three-run homer. His family lives in Morgantown, West Virginia, which is about an hour away and many made the trip. I hope they stopped at the Eat ‘n Park in Kirwin Heights on the way there. I know people there.

Reds 10, Astros 0: Happy 100th loss, Houston. Mike Leake shut ‘em out for eight innings. Jay Bruce drove in five, hitting his 30th homer.

Nationals 6, Braves 5; Nationals 4, Braves 0: Kind of depressing (and surprising)  if you’re a Braves fan. But the silver lining here is seeing all the Nats fans bringing out their “Natitude!” and “you just gotta believe!” and “no one will want to play us in October!” stuff on Twitter yesterday. I just want to hug them and tell them how great it is to see them again after five and a half months of silence. Don’t cancel your dinner reservations for wild card night, however, OK?

Phillies 6, Marlins 4: Six effective innings for Roy Halladay and four RBI for Chase Utley. Seems like old times. Well, except for the part where Halladay is a crafty nibbler with an 88 m.p.h. This may very well have been his last start ever for the Phillies at home.

Tigers 6, Mariners 2: Miguel Cabrera hit his 44th homer. It was his first since late August. The Tigers’ magic number is Al Kaline. Someone in the comments tell me what’s weird about that linked image, BTW. No prizes for a correct answer, but be satisfied that you learned something interesting.

Giants 8, Mets 5: Angel Pagan homered and tripled and drove in three. Walked twice too. Not a bad return to Citi Field for the former Met. Not so great for the former Giants property, Zack Wheeler, who gave up four runs in five innings.

White Sox 4, Twins 3: Effing Quintana … that creep can roll, man (6 IP, 8 H, 1 ER).

Brewers 4, Cubs 3: Just your run-of-the-mill walkoff suicide squeeze, executed by Logan Schafer. Check out Ron Roenicke after the game, talking up how much of a baller he is to call that squeeze there:

“Bases loaded, it’s not ideal. I have to think about it when we have the bases loaded because it’s a flip and a force play at home,” Roenicke said. “It’s so much easier than having to tag at home so most guys won’t do it there.”

I think we’ve found Roenicke’s new theme music. Also, his official logo.

Dodgers 9, Diamondbacks 3: L.A.’s magic number is now two. More important than that given that the playoffs are inevitable? Matt Kemp going 4 for 4 with two doubles and three RBI. If he’s a factor in the lineup the Dodgers are gonna be fierce come October.

Athletics 2, Angels 1: Josh Donaldson‘s fantastic season continues with a walkoff bases-loaded single with two outs in the ninth. I can’t remember who said it, but someone I follow on Twitter recently said that Donaldson is the absolute best player in baseball whom you would not recognize if he was standing next to you on the subway.

1. dondada10 - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:28 AM

The Royals and Yankees are pretty much done. Shame; I was really hoping to have 6 teams tied for two spots going into the last few days.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM

You will have to be content with a 4 team race. Cleveland has an easy schedule and Baltimore is staying in the race. A tie are still possible.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Four losses in a row for the Yankee old timer team hurts their chances greatly. Dickey out pitched good old Andy last night. Rasmus has hit home runs in the 3 games he has played since coming off the DL. He did not have any rehab games either. Hughes against Happ today. Runs will be scored and the bullpens will be called upon early.

• qacm - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM

The most awesome thing about this latest Yankees loss was John Sterling’s hilarious play-by-play FUBAR…

• proudlycanadian - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Thanks! That was awesome!

• cur68 - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Yeah, RA did get it done. He looked like the guy that our boys got from the Mets. Struggled like heck in the first few innings, though. I think he was past 50 pitches by the and of the 2nd or damn close to it. Had himself some trouble with Robinsion Cano….but then what pitcher doesn’t? Still, a wins a win, and it pushes the Empire back a game.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Time for the Borg to blow it up and start a long term youth movement. There are plenty of rocking chairs waiting for their burned-out veterans, and the humidor of pixie powder in Cashman’s drawer looks played out – or maybe some Beanbag spy replace his goopher dust with DMG-3000. Great for horses, not so magical for over-the-hill ballplayers. What would they look like next year, I wonder – A-Rod almost surely not playing, Jeter highly questionable, a really mediocre pitching staff with or without Pettite. Will they try to cobble together another scrapheap squad or get serious about planning for their future?

• cur68 - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Probably get serious about their future, I guess. By doing that they’d have a chance to get under the salary cap AND grow some talent. Besides, their’s Elsbury and then who? Pretty much no one with as much upside.
        So the needs are:
        3B (Alex Rodriguez is probably suspended)

Short (Jeter. Old. sigh)

2B? (Letting go of Cano might be the best way to stay under the cap, but I think he’s back. Still, growing a replacement would make some sense. Cano’s in his 30′s)

LF or RF (depending on what one does with Grandy & Gardner who can basically play the whole field without much help…when healthy)

DH (this might be Jeter, but who knows? His pride might still want to play SS. Betcha Cashman hopes Jeter’s pride has some range, eh?)

Pitchers of every stripe.

Well, good luck with THAT, Empire. They have the dough to make it happen IF there were players available to fill the spots. But getting under the salary cap would be effortful, to say the least.

• indaburg - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

The smart thing is for the Borg to start their own youth movement. But that is not the Borg Way. It is to assimilate others’ youth. It is going to kill me to see David Price in pinstripes.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Mighty Casey got save #31 on birthday #32.

• nbjays - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Resistance is futile, ‘Burgie.

/sigh

3. natstowngreg - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM

OMG, a Nats troll! It would be insane to say that I’ve missed them. It’s just that Craig’s trolls come with winning, and the overenthusiasm among some fans that comes with winning. So the lack of trolls has nicely reflected the Nats’ rather disappointing season.

It’s nice to see the team revert to winning ways the past 6 weeks. (Though they almost threw away the first game.) It’s nice to see them fight for a playoff spot, even if it’s a bit too far away. It’s especially nice to keep the Braves from clinching here.

4. teamo68 - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:51 AM

There are some of us Nats fans who have been here all year but yeah, Craig, go ahead and mock team excitement. They are technically not eliminated so there is shot, regardless of how remote, you miserable hump.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Craig is an equal opportunity parodist. All of our teams get ribbed from time to time. Spray some foaming fire retardant on that crater where your sense of humor ought to be.

5. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM

The Feesh have apparently given up trying to win ballgames altogether and are instead taking multiple looks at their creche of larvae from the minors. Flynn got pounded last night, the second night in a row that an import from the nether reaches of the farm system couldn’t hack it. Once again, the Feesh left a ton of guys on base – 10 this time. October and its trout streams beckon….

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM

“taking multiple looks at their creche of larvae from the minors.”

They need to look to the future. This is the time to take a look at young kids and see who has what it take to be traded in 2017 :)

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

You’re lucky I calm down quickly. Yesterday’s pissing match is forgotten. But now you have to go after the Feesh front orifice for sins imagined and fantasized? Them’s fightin’ words.

Okay, you win. Let’s go get a beer.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I have to work on my fonts or sumptin – ’cause as I said, I wasn’t pissing!

But regardless, I never take stuff said on here to heart – you don’t either I know. And I am always up for a beer – I’m buying!

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Well in that case, let’s go out in the yard and settle stuff once and for all. We’ll do a great impersonation of John Wayne and Victor McLaghlen at the end of The Quiet Man.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Nah, you Florida boys are too rough, you’d put a woopin’ on me

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Not trading MY by 7/31 was the tipping point for me….he has to go

6. philliesblow - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

The Kaline image is the 1960 jersey. A script “Tigers” and a number appear on the front of the home jersey instead of the Olde English D. It was a one year design.

Nice to see Miggy end the Boom drought, he now has as many home runs this month as Donnie Kelly. Another solid outing for Anibal Sanchez.

Raul Ibanez is now 1 HR short of tying Ted Williams for most HR’s in a season at age 41. Anytime you name is in a sentence with Ted Williams you are having a great year.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I’m having real issues wondering who to root for in October. On one hand, there are all my Feesh favorites on the Tiggers, cleared of their stiff and stubborn McLoria-locked stench (with apologies to Wallace Stevens). On the other, me root for a designatedhitterball team? Cognitive dissonance. I feel like Robbie the Robot when Morbius ordered the big lug to kill his Id.

7. aceshigh11 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I think the Red Sox need to start thinking about lining up their rotation for the playoffs and resting some regulars.

Of course, this is the Sox we’re talking about and, even though they’ve worked hard to pretty much erased the stench of last year, anything can happen.

They still need to play hard, but I think they’ve got a cushion and some flexibility to start prepping for playoff time.

• indaburg - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM

You’re right–they should be thinking about the post-season. (You can relax now–you have a 9 game lead.)

• aceshigh11 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

No, now I’ve gotta get all nervous and freaked out about the post-season.

I’m a Red Sox fan…we never relax. Haven’t you figured that out by now? ;)

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Speak for yourself ya high-strung fatalist you. Some of us just laugh at the ones who weren’t cured by Dave Roberts and then 2007.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

So you completely forgot about the 2011 meltdown?

Granted this is a completely different team. And YES, I am secretly very optimistic…I just don’t show it outwardly (unless it’s on a message board, apparently…)

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I’ve not forgotten 2011, I just file it under “exceptions that prove the rule” instead of “extended unbroken misery and futility.”

• historiophiliac - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM

How’s your playoff beard coming along? Do you look like you need a good delousing with your meal at the YMCA?

• aceshigh11 - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Ha! I couldn’t grow a full beard to save my life.

A goatee is the best I could do…definitely not a full beard, but I’m clean-shaven now.

• historiophiliac - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

So, you look like a Yankee. Prolly old too. Someone might confuse you for one of the Borg if you’re not wearing BloSox gear.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah…I got a baby face. I’m a skinny 35 year-old computer nerd who looks 25.

• historiophiliac - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Wow, I see your time at the nerd table has not made you bitter. Good for you.

8. spelunkerj - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Kaline’s looking the wrong way! Looks really wrong once you see it. Kinda like one of those hidden images….

9. 4d3fect - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Eat ‘n Park? Isn’t there a Stop ‘n Snack nearby? Or a Squat ‘n Gobble?

10. mattintoledo - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM

About the Kaline link. My guess is the Tigers either never had their number on the front of their home jersey or they only did it the year that photo was taken.

11. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM

The Orioles actually won a 1 run game on the road against a better opponent. Jim Johnson picked up a save. I am shocked. Shocked I say! The team has a chance of their first 3 game winning streak in I don’t know how long. I’m sure they will lose the next two out of spite.

At least they are giving away some pretty nifty T-Shirts next week.

12. unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Big Unk has been on the disabled list for 2 1/2 weeks now – let’s say for simplicity’s sake that I broke most of the bones below my right knew, and that the trauma surgeon used the word ‘jigsaw puzzle’ in describing the surgery. Why was he smiling? I guess because that’s just more entertaining than your typical tib/fib deal. You have to start with the corner pieces and work your way to the middle.

I had vainly hoped for someone from our loose affiliation of baseball-loving lunatics to miss me at some point but let’s face it – I’m just not that missable.

Anywho, any and all donations to my non-profit “The Human Fund” are more than welcome and don’t forget our compelling slogan – “Money for People.” While I wait for your tax-deductible donations to pour in I will be occupied with performing feats of strength with crutches and yelling and squirrels. Goddamn rats with bushy tails they are.

• historiophiliac - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

You broke your right brain?

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

several bones beneath my right knee

• wlschneider09 - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM

There aren’t that many bones down there.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

OK schneider, et. al. – it was a fully displaced tibial plateau fracture with multiple smaller fractures below. christ, the fucking internet.

• historiophiliac - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I see they have you on grumpy pills. Well, I had wondered why you weren’t gloating of late. I guess that’s a better excuse than being passed out in an alley from too much beer-n-chicken.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

stupid pills more like it – ‘christ the internet’ was for all the sickmaking pictures I just looked at.

• historiophiliac - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Don’t look at it. I don’t.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

that’s part of the stupid pills – i just goofed out on the pictures before i could break away.

now that i’m weaning off the hospital heroin i can read and write again. sort of.

• stex52 - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Well, Hell, man. If no one else will say it I will. Sorry you had an accident. It must have been bad and very painful. Details not necessary.

But I hope you heal in the quickest and least painful way possible.

Good luck.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Thanks Stex – btw big George Springer fan here – he’s a local kid from a great family – gonna be special for your Stros

• stex52 - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Springer will be one of the more interesting developments of 2014, although I am not expecting much from the Astros overall until some time in 2015. He drafted as a high upside, but more of a gamble over the sure thing players. Seems he has a shot (per the scouts) at being a five-tool guy. The question is a hole in his swing and his K rate. If those hold out okay to the Majors then that would be a stabilizing force in a really awful outfield.

BTW, it is interesting to note that he, like many of the guys starting to make a mark with the Astros, was an Ed Wade deal. It is very easy to trash Ed, but a surprising number of his prospects are on the way to working out well in the organization.

• nbjays - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Welcome back Unk Mo! Nothing better for convelescing from surgery than some playoff baseball.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Thanks – couldn’t agree morel

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

FWIW – I had noticed your absencse, so welcome back!

And while I do not believe in thumbs up and down, what the hell is the matter with you people thumbs downing soemone talkign about serious injuries! Seriouls – that is WAYYYYY uncalled for!

Oh, and the trauma sugeon was smiling because he saw a new BMW convertible with your knees name on it

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Thanks man – you’re right about his car ‘upgrade’ too.

I’m rooting for your Phillies to improve because I like it when they’re good – but it just can’t happen until RAJ is gone, no?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Somehow this ended up in a reply to Old Gator….but to answer your Q:

Not trading MY by 7/31 was the tipping point for me….he has to go

13. jwbiii - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Updated playoff percentages:

Team     FG   B-Pro
    TBR*   66.3    69.3
    Cle    65.9    54.3
    Tex*   54.6    62.7
    Bal     6.4     8.4
    NYY     4.7     2.4
    KCR     2.1     2.9

WsN     2.2     3.3

With the Rangers beating the Rays and the Indians beating the Royals, things get more interesting at the top of the AL race.

Elimination news: The Rangers’ win knocked the Blue Jays out. The Angels have a tragic number of 3, the Diamondbacks are at 4.

*Holds wild card berth

• proudlycanadian - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

With Tampa Bay still playing Texas and Cleveland still playing Kansas City, Baltimore can make up ground if they continue to beat a Red Sox team that has little incentive to go all out.

• spudchukar - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

One game closer to the division for the Red Birds. Still a lot of Baseball to go, but the schedule certainly favors them. And if the Pirates don’t start playing better, they may very well be on the road vs. the Reds. Somehow the Padres own the Buccos at PNC, they are 25-10 there in recent meetings.

The division title is not impossible for the Reds, especially if they dismantle Pittsburgh in the upcoming 6 confrontations, and St. Louis stumbles. But home field for the WC is in easy reach.

Meanwhile the Cards win coupled with the Braves double header loss moves St. Louis within one game of the Braves for the Best Record in the NL. The Dodgers sit another game back, but have a decidedly tougher road ahead.

14. sportsdrenched - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Ned, holding teams back from their potential since…..well it’s been too long whenever it is.

15. jimeejohnson - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Artificial stupidity: how does it feel to have the Toronto Blue Jays beat your team?

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Shhh-h-h, you can walk in here without having to hold your nose the past few days. Wake the slug up and I’ll have to pull the Lysol spray out from under the kitchen sink again.

• nbjays - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

R.A. Dickey, no less!

But you are wasting your breath, Jimee… harry can’t hear us over the cacophony in the halls of his middle school.

16. APBA Guy - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Donaldson is certainly winning the Battle of the Josh’s this year in the AL West, especially if you figure value per dollar. But let’s be honest, except for El Capitan Bartolo Colon, which of the A’s would you recognize if he were standing on the subway next to you?

Anyway, GFG last night (great f***ing game). For all the Sonny Gray hype, Garrett Richards was 1-2 mph faster and had a more consistent curve ball. But Brandon Moss hammered a double off the one mistake that I saw from Richards and scored Donaldson for the A’s one run, balancing Trout’s 25th HR from the first.

The rest of the game was Gray wriggling out of self-created jams and the bullpens doing what they should until the climactic hit by Donaldson. Just Wow!

The office is heading for the Mausoleum for a “Team Building Event”, ie a corporate excuse to drink beer and watch the A’s live. Can’t wait.

• stex52 - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Gray certainly wasn’t bad for this point in his development. He got to 90 pitches way too fast – like you say, wiggling. But he kept them in for the win. A’s are sitting awfully strong at this point.

I told you the Rangers were spiraling the other way.

17. pinerider22 - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM

The reference to Al Kaline:

Kaline wore #6.
    Tigers magic # to clinch the Central Division is 6.

18. dcfan999 - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM

To bad Craig will be crying like a little girl when this braves loose in the first round

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3861)