A’s removing upper deck tarps, adding 12,000 seats for playoffs

Sep 18, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Seattle Mariners v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

With the AL West title all but wrapped up the A’s started selling playoff tickets yesterday … and immediately sold out. So now they’ve decided to remove the tarps covering the upper deck and sell those seats, which would add about 12,000 more fans per game.

Here’s more from Jane Lee of MLB.com:

With the upper deck open, minus the peak of Mount Davis, capacity will be 48,146. Normal capacity is 35,067, which is what it was for the ALDS last year when the Tigers came to town. Even then, it was deafening.

Even if the A’s only end up hosting two home playoff games removing the tarp would add 24,000 more tickets. During the regular season the A’s average attendance has been 22,164, so it’s sort of like adding an extra game worth of fans. For a team that’s always short on money every little bit helps and if nothing else the place should be absolutely electric.

1. stoutfiles - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I hope they win it all this year, if only for their loyal GM Brad Pitt.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

What about the little fat guy with the laptop? You just gonna throw him to the Dilophosaurus again?

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Yah, it’s amazing how one man can have so many talents. Same with Jonah Hill. It takes guts to hire those guys.

• ch0psuey - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM

MoneyBall was on FX Channel last night

2. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

My pal APBA Guy must think he’s been assumed bodily into heaven. Or maybe that’s just another Blue Bottle buzz.

Tell ya what, guy – if the A’s win it all, go have yourself a double stack of lingonberry pancakes at Sears and send me the bill.

No, I’m not gonna pay it. Just send it to me.

• APBA Guy - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM

OG, I’ll be at the game today, consuming Kona Longboards in sufficient quantities to ward off sun stroke and the horrors of Josh Hamilton swinging at curve balls on the outside corner (and missing, as always.).

But I’ll be thinking about those pancakes.

BTW, Blue Bottle Roman Espresso this morning. That will lift you straight to heaven, if I weren’t already there after last night’s 2-1 walk-off.

• Gamera the Brave - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Mmmmmmmm – Longboards…
        I don’t always drink beer – but when I do, I prefer Kona Longboards.
        – Gamera, the most interesting 200-foot-tall firebreathing turtle in the world

3. hcf95688 - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM

A few thoughts this A’s fan:

1) This talk of the AL West being “all but wrapped up” makes me uneasy. It’ll be all wrapped up when and if its all wrapped up.
    2) I bought my upper decks yesterday. If there’s an ALDS for us, look for me in section 313.
    3) Pulling the tarps brings back some great memories. We used to call the outer reaches of the upper deck “The Burn Center” back in the 80s. The reference had nothing to do with sunburns.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

When they pulled back the tarps at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium after the Feesh’s last season there, they found cockaroach husks so old they had been mineralized. Neat trick, considering fossilization requires pressure and the only minerals were evaporated into the stagnant air under the tarp.

• juicejuicer - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

That’s not too bad a place to watch a football game. It is definitely still “The Burn Center” for eight Sunday afternoons in the Fall. I wouldn’t mind watching a baseball game from up there. It’s gotta be close to 600 feet to home plate tho!

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Yeah, like watching on your stupidphone.

• notsofast10 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Sounds like the “Burn Center” will need to have a lot of food concession stands ready!

4. aceinthehole12 - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Nothing like the O.co in the postseason ! Last season was nuts.

5. slizzyslizz - Sep 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

More sewage for all to enjoy…

6. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Great. 12,000 more fans overflowing the clogged up toilets. A’s had best put several thousand Port-A-Potties around the Coliseum, inside and out. With a free can ofAir Freshener given away at the door.

7. Caught Looking - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Maybe they can take those tarps down to the dugout where the bathroom flooded again last night.

8. steelers88 - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Man it’s like the 70′s again! Athletics, Reds, and Pirates all probably in the Playoffs!

• notsofast10 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

And Dodgers?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5401)