How about renaming the street outside Yankee Stadium to “River[a] Avenue?”

Sep 18, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

Mariano Rivera AP

River Avenue runs outside Yankee Stadium. Mike Vaccaro of the New York Post picks up the ball from some creative fans and launches a campaign to add an “a” at the end and change the name to “Rivera Ave.” as a means of honoring the retiring Yankees closer:

This is an idea too good to ignore, and so now we put the ball in the city’s hands, the way Joe Torre and Joe Girardi have placed baseballs in Rivera’s hands since 1996. It is worth noting Ferrara isn’t the only one who has been hit by the inspiration; a Yankees fan named Dan Salogub created a Twitter account (@161stRIVERAve) promoting the same idea: adding an A, renaming the street.

I’m opposed to this. Not because I have anything against Mariano Rivera as such, but because I feel like it’s been a year-long bacchanalia of honoring Rivera and isn’t enough enough? I mean, heck, we haven’t even gotten to the Yankees’ own sendoff of the guy and we’ve reached peak Rivera Reverence. What more can you do?

There’s also the part, as Vaccaro notes, that the city of New York won’t let you rename streets after living people. Which means we’d have to murder Rivera in order for this to go through. And while I don’t purport to be the most ethical or moral person on the planet, I have drawn a personal line just shy of killing the all-time saves leader in cold blood. That’s just how my mom brought me up.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

You’re momma done right.

Let Mo Live.

That said, I happen to like the idea, even if I’m already fed up with the displays at every ballpark. It’s become forced, contrived. Please Houston, don’t even bother.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

damn autocorrect. “YOUR”.

Where’s the edit function on this commenting platform anyway, Calcaterra? Shifty operation YOU’RE running here.

• historiophiliac - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Let Mo Live!

• frank433 - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Should have told that to Miguel Cabrera this year before his attempted manslaughter at Yankee Stadium.

• NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Didn’t the NY Mayor change the law so he could serve more terms? Laws….

• jerseyshoregiant - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM

actually the city council did.

• Liam - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Your mild billionaire mayor’s now convinced he’s a king.

• BalladOfKyleBlanks - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Go. Away.

2. rickdobrydney - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

What harm does it do ??? I like the idea —- anyone else I might be opposed , but for Mo I like the idea — As for the enough is enough crack, come on , Craig, lighten the freak up. What is the big deal ??

• jerseyshoregiant - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

How about it costs the taxpayers money. Is that good enough reason. It’s not as simple as just changing the street sign.

• cackalackyank - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yes that $5K for a few street signs is going to make all the difference. Relax the Koch Brothers will still be in the pink.

• Reflex - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

It actually costs considerably more than that, including payments that would have to be made to other business owners in order to make up for the address change. Its not trivial. My hometown tried to rename a street after MLK a few years back and the cost is what ultimately stopped them. And that was in a relatively small town, I can’t imagine what it would cost in a place like NYC.

3. largebill - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

” And while I don’t purport to be the most ethical or moral person on the planet, I have drawn a personal line just shy of killing the all-time saves leader in cold blood. That’s just how my mom brought me up.”

Trevor Hoffman? That poor sob is sadly just on the other side of your personal cut off line..

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Reminds me of the SNL sketch after Bart Giamatti died. In announcing the tributes to him, Fay Vincent starts with Flags at half staff and moments of silence, and progresses to the point that Baseball shall now be called BartBall. He also insists that all sports writers be addressed as Bart

5. buddaley - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I have no objection to naming a street after Rivera, certainly the greatest closer in baseball history and apparently among the most admirable people in the game.

On the other hand:
    Babe Ruth: The favorite for the Greatest Player Ever
    Lou Gehrig: The favorite for the Greatest First Baseman Ever
    Joe DiMaggio: For a long time called The Greatest Living Ballplayer
    Mickey Mantle: Probably in the Top 5 Center Fielders ever
    Yogi Berra: In the argument for Greatest Catcher Ever
    Derek Jeter: In the argument for being among the Top 5-6 Shortstops Ever
    Alex Rodriguez: Had he remained a shortstop, probably #2 Shortstop Ever or even Greatest
    Had he played exclusively 3B, probably #1-2 Third Baseman Ever

Perhaps not all those “titles” are accurate, and except for Gehrig the public perception includes some serious character flaws. How many (four of them deceased) have a Bronx street so closely associated with the stadium with his name on it?

I suppose the ease of changing River to Rivera makes it clever, but perhaps also some more perspective might make a plaque or monument sufficient to honor the great Mariano.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Babe Ruth has a plaza named for him right beside Yankee Stadium. Lou Gehrig Plaza (google it for a great b&w photo of the naming ceremony) sits along 161st Street just beyond River Avenue in the Bronx so it’s not like street and Plaza namings haven’t been done before.
      I love Rivera but I think River Avenue should remain River Avenue.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

And there’s a Joe DiMaggio Highway.

And a Derek Jeter Boulevard of Broken Dreams, relplete with a 35K square foot gift basket/car service dispatch. 24 Hour service, too.

6. ctony1216 - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM

OK, but only if they change 161st St. to Gehrig Street and Jerome Ave to Ruth Boulevard.

• 0fahrvergnugen - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

*Babe Blvd

7. jerseyshoregiant - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

And when Jeter retires Yankee fans will want Jerome Ave changed to Jeter Ave.

• badintent - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM

And when Anthony Weiner gets 5 years in the can for being a public pervert, there will be a stature of him in front of Nathan’s HOT DOGS

8. Detroit Michael - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Craig wrote: “What more can you do?”

We could require all teams, not just the Yankees, to retire Mariano Rivera’s uniform number. No wait, we already did that.

Say, the next time the Statue of Liberty needs to be remodeled, maybe we could make some alterations. Instead of a torch, the Statue could hold a cut fastball.

OK, we’re still working on it.

9. thesmedman - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Name the bullpen for Rivera. That’s all that’s needed.

10. wickschuyler - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Reblogged this on wickschuyler.

11. moogro - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I agree, enough. There’s too many bronze statues in the world also.

12. km9000 - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I think a simpler and cheaper alternative would be to just have Rivera change his name to River.

• pauleee - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM

HA!

13. bigharold - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM

“This is an idea too good to ignore, ..”

No it’s not.

I love Rivera and I think that he’s a better human being than ball player. But, if we start naming streets after ball players where does it stop? Turn the Grand Concourse into Derek Drive?

14. therealtrenches - Sep 19, 2013 at 6:50 AM

No…if anything, it should be [Mickey] Rivers Ave. Five credit where credit is due!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3707)