Sep 18, 2013, 9:23 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Mark Bowman has a big update on Braves outfielder Jason Heyward, who faced live pitching on Wednesday for the first time since having his jaw fractured in two places by a Jon Niese fastball August 21:
The Braves are still not providing a definitive timetable for Heyward. But there seems to be reason to believe Heyward could be back in Atlanta’s lineup by Monday, when the club begins its final homestand of the season against the Brewers. His return could help spark an offense that has slumbered since he suffered the unfortunate injury.
“I’ll play it by ear,” Heyward told Bowman, not wanting to commit to a certain return date. “I’m just taking it day by day now. We’ll see what happens this weekend and how I’m feeling when I get back home.”
It was assumed at the time of the injury — and subsequent facial surgery — that the 24-year-old outfielder would have to miss the remainder of the Braves’ 2013 regular season schedule, but the rehabilitation process has been seamless so far and Heyward is keeping his legs and arms in shape while his jaw heals.
Heyward was batting .253/.347/.423 with 13 home runs through 405 plate appearances this season. He’s likely to play center field when he returns, with Evan Gattis manning left field and Justin Upton in right.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)