Sep 18, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt has been shut down for the remainder of the 2013 season due to renewed left groin discomfort.
Affeldt missed 50 games between July 21 and September 12 with a severe left groin strain and aggravated that injury in his first appearance back.
The 34-year-old posted a pedestrian 3.74 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 21/17 K/BB ratio in 33 2/3 innings of relief this season for the Giants after inking a three-year, $18 million free agent contract in mid-November.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday evening that he had a talk with Affeldt about entering spring training next year in better physical shape: “I hope we learned from this – all of us,” Bochy said. “In the role we’re in, whether it’s pitcher or position player, it’s important to get better whether it’s on the conditioning side or the mental side. For Jeremy, it’s been a rough year for him. He just said he wants to come into spring training in the best shape he’s been in.”
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 34
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)