Sep 18, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt has been shut down for the remainder of the 2013 season due to renewed left groin discomfort.
Affeldt missed 50 games between July 21 and September 12 with a severe left groin strain and aggravated that injury in his first appearance back.
The 34-year-old posted a pedestrian 3.74 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 21/17 K/BB ratio in 33 2/3 innings of relief this season for the Giants after inking a three-year, $18 million free agent contract in mid-November.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday evening that he had a talk with Affeldt about entering spring training next year in better physical shape: “I hope we learned from this – all of us,” Bochy said. “In the role we’re in, whether it’s pitcher or position player, it’s important to get better whether it’s on the conditioning side or the mental side. For Jeremy, it’s been a rough year for him. He just said he wants to come into spring training in the best shape he’s been in.”
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)