Sep 18, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt has been shut down for the remainder of the 2013 season due to renewed left groin discomfort.
Affeldt missed 50 games between July 21 and September 12 with a severe left groin strain and aggravated that injury in his first appearance back.
The 34-year-old posted a pedestrian 3.74 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 21/17 K/BB ratio in 33 2/3 innings of relief this season for the Giants after inking a three-year, $18 million free agent contract in mid-November.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday evening that he had a talk with Affeldt about entering spring training next year in better physical shape: “I hope we learned from this – all of us,” Bochy said. “In the role we’re in, whether it’s pitcher or position player, it’s important to get better whether it’s on the conditioning side or the mental side. For Jeremy, it’s been a rough year for him. He just said he wants to come into spring training in the best shape he’s been in.”
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)