Sep 18, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt has been shut down for the remainder of the 2013 season due to renewed left groin discomfort.
Affeldt missed 50 games between July 21 and September 12 with a severe left groin strain and aggravated that injury in his first appearance back.
The 34-year-old posted a pedestrian 3.74 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 21/17 K/BB ratio in 33 2/3 innings of relief this season for the Giants after inking a three-year, $18 million free agent contract in mid-November.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday evening that he had a talk with Affeldt about entering spring training next year in better physical shape: “I hope we learned from this – all of us,” Bochy said. “In the role we’re in, whether it’s pitcher or position player, it’s important to get better whether it’s on the conditioning side or the mental side. For Jeremy, it’s been a rough year for him. He just said he wants to come into spring training in the best shape he’s been in.”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)