Sep 18, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt has been shut down for the remainder of the 2013 season due to renewed left groin discomfort.
Affeldt missed 50 games between July 21 and September 12 with a severe left groin strain and aggravated that injury in his first appearance back.
The 34-year-old posted a pedestrian 3.74 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 21/17 K/BB ratio in 33 2/3 innings of relief this season for the Giants after inking a three-year, $18 million free agent contract in mid-November.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday evening that he had a talk with Affeldt about entering spring training next year in better physical shape: “I hope we learned from this – all of us,” Bochy said. “In the role we’re in, whether it’s pitcher or position player, it’s important to get better whether it’s on the conditioning side or the mental side. For Jeremy, it’s been a rough year for him. He just said he wants to come into spring training in the best shape he’s been in.”
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)