Sep 18, 2013, 10:37 PM EST
Jose Dariel Abreu defected from his native Cuba in early August with the intention of signing a big contract with a Major League Baseball team.
That whole process is now well underway.
According to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com, the powerful 26-year-old first base prospect has officially established residency in Haiti and has been cleared by the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. Abreu has also petitioned MLB to grant him free agency and can begin negotiating with teams once that request is approved. There’s no reason to think it won’t be.
Abreu, a 6-foot-3, 250-pound slugger, batted .394/.542/.837 with 75 walks, 35 home runs, 71 runs scored and 99 RBI in 87 games for Cienfuegos, a Cuban Serie Nacional team, in 2011-2012. He hit .382/.535/.735 with 13 homers, 37 runs scored, 36 RBI and 37 walks in 42 games during a shortened 2012-2013 campaign.
He is thought to be seeking more than $50 million in guaranteed money. And he’ll probably get it.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)