Sep 18, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
A tough ending to a tough season for the Mets.
As first reported by Marc Carig of Newsday, shortstop Ruben Tejada suffered a broken fibula Wednesday when he got tangled up with teammate Andrew Brown while trying to chase down a fly ball in the outfield. Brown slid in an attempt to avoid a collision but wound up clipping Tejada’s right leg.
Tejada remained in the game for the rest of that inning, which is amazing now that the diagnosis is known. He is obviously done for the rest of the 2013 season and his status for the start of spring training next year will depend on the severity of the fracture.
The glove-first 23-year-old hit .202/.259/.260 in 227 plate appearances this season for New York.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)