Sep 18, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
A tough ending to a tough season for the Mets.
As first reported by Marc Carig of Newsday, shortstop Ruben Tejada suffered a broken fibula Wednesday when he got tangled up with teammate Andrew Brown while trying to chase down a fly ball in the outfield. Brown slid in an attempt to avoid a collision but wound up clipping Tejada’s right leg.
Tejada remained in the game for the rest of that inning, which is amazing now that the diagnosis is known. He is obviously done for the rest of the 2013 season and his status for the start of spring training next year will depend on the severity of the fracture.
The glove-first 23-year-old hit .202/.259/.260 in 227 plate appearances this season for New York.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 64
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)