Sep 18, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Scott Diamond defeated the White Sox on Wednesday without recording a single strikeout in 6 1/3 innings.
And that’s fairly unusual, if hardly unique. He’s the sixth starter this year to win a game without striking out a batter, joining Jeff Locke, Jeremy Guthrie, Jake Westbrook, Kyle Lohse and Joe Kelly.
What is far more remarkable is that it was Diamond’s seventh straight start with one or no strikeouts. The left-hander, who spent most of August and the beginning of September in the minors, hasn’t fanned more than one batter since July 1 against the Yankees.
According to the Baseball-reference Play Index, the last starter to have such a streak was the Orioles’ Dave Schmidt in 1989. He actually did it in nine straight starts, going 1-7 with a 7.51 ERA and five strikeouts in the span. Before that, Ricky Horton went seven straight in 1988 and Tommy John had eight in a row in 1985.
Since 2000, two pitchers had gone six starts in a row. If you guessed Kirk Rueter was one of them, you were right. He did it between 2002-03 and actually went 3-0 with a 3.18 ERA in the span. If you guessed Aaron Cook was the other, well, you were close (he got to five in a row twice). The other was John Rheinecker, and he wasn’t quite so successful. He went 0-3 with an 11.28 ERA in the six starts for the Rangers from 2006-07.
Diamond is 1-4 with a 6.37 ERA during his streak.
Diamond was one of the AL’s best rookie starters last year, going 12-9 with a 3.54 ERA, but some figured his low strikeout rate would catch up with him. He fanned 90 batters in 173 innings last year. This year, he has just 46 strikeouts in 118 2/3 innings, and he’s gone 6-11 with a 5.54 ERA. Half of those wins gave come against the White Sox.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 1
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 28
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)