Sep 18, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Last year the Rangers staggered and sort of fell backwards into the playoffs. This year they’re staggering again and may not make it at all. If you do that two years in a row, someone’s gotta take the fall, right?
Maybe not the manager, though.
Two smart takes on that today. First from Ken Rosenthal, who says that while some may call for Ron Washington’s head if the Rangers miss the playoffs, the more interesting thing to watch may be the front office dynamics. Could Nolan Ryan regain the power he’s lost? The second take is from Yahoo!’s Tim Brown who says that this isn’t Wash’s fault so he shouldn’t take the fall.
I agree. Nelson Cruz‘s absence and the simple failure to execute by the players who are there is what’s happening. I can’t look to anything Washington has or has not done to warrant his dismissal. Not that people won’t be calling for his or someone else’e head anyway.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)