Sep 18, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Last year the Rangers staggered and sort of fell backwards into the playoffs. This year they’re staggering again and may not make it at all. If you do that two years in a row, someone’s gotta take the fall, right?
Maybe not the manager, though.
Two smart takes on that today. First from Ken Rosenthal, who says that while some may call for Ron Washington’s head if the Rangers miss the playoffs, the more interesting thing to watch may be the front office dynamics. Could Nolan Ryan regain the power he’s lost? The second take is from Yahoo!’s Tim Brown who says that this isn’t Wash’s fault so he shouldn’t take the fall.
I agree. Nelson Cruz‘s absence and the simple failure to execute by the players who are there is what’s happening. I can’t look to anything Washington has or has not done to warrant his dismissal. Not that people won’t be calling for his or someone else’e head anyway.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)