Corey Hart says he’ll take less money to re-sign with Brewers

Sep 19, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT

Corey Hart homers AP

After missing the entire season following multiple knee surgeries impending free agent Corey Hart said today that he’ll take less money to re-sign with the Brewers.

Hart is making $10 million this season in the final year of a three-year, $26.5 million contract and revealed that the two sides haven’t had any discussions yet, but told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

I told them I would be very generous to stay here. I wouldn’t sit there and ask for anything outlandish. I’d definitely take a discount to stay here because I think I owe it to them to stay here and be a cheaper player. Nobody wants to play for free but I basically sat there and watched all season. I owe it to them and the fans to come back at a cheaper price. That’s kind of what we’re hoping for but at the same time I don’t know what’s going to happen.

We’ll see what happens once other offers start coming in and Hart has to actually make a decision on where to sign, but that’s certainly a public stance you don’t often hear from players. During the previous three seasons Hart hit .280 with an .857 OPS and an average of 29 homers, so even with the health question marks he’ll be one of the best hitters available and is still relatively young at age 31.

1. historiophiliac - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM

You’re doing it wrong, dude.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Sep 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Hart hAs been one of my favorite Brewers. I certainly hope they decide to bring him back. That being said I understand he’s a pretty big risk with his injury history right now. I’m not going to be overly optimistic a deal gets done.

• brewcrewchamps - Sep 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I think it would make sense to sign him for a one or two year deal until Morris is ready to come up. They can’t have juan playin first base anymore, just ugly watching him.

3. moogro - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM

That’s risky. It is best to announce the intended discount to the fans after a deal is reached. What if he signs elsewhere, negotiations are weird, etc.?

4. drpluta - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Reblogged this on THE QUARTERBACK.

• sfbookreviews - Sep 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Good for you.

5. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM

wow Hart just moved up to one of my fav. players going forward. you rarely ever hear this from a player who is actually really good. He didn’t get a chance to play all year and feels as if he needs to give something to them for that. its honorable and its not like its free, he is still gonna get millions people but you gotta love it for being so open. This guy is like the anti Brian Wilson. where Wilson sat for the year and made 8 million, this year the Giants were trying to sign him for 5 and he was INSULTED. he wanted the same amount even though he brought no production for a year and had question Marks all over him. Hart doesn’t seem to have the ego of other players so gotta love that as well. kudos good sir kudos

6. barkleyblows - Sep 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Of course he wants to stay. Nobody else wants this guy. All you gotta do is throw sliders 5 feet outside and he’ll swing.

7. brewersfarmreport - Sep 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Reblogged this on Brewers Farm Report.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet