Sep 19, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
After missing the entire season following multiple knee surgeries impending free agent Corey Hart said today that he’ll take less money to re-sign with the Brewers.
Hart is making $10 million this season in the final year of a three-year, $26.5 million contract and revealed that the two sides haven’t had any discussions yet, but told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
I told them I would be very generous to stay here. I wouldn’t sit there and ask for anything outlandish. I’d definitely take a discount to stay here because I think I owe it to them to stay here and be a cheaper player. Nobody wants to play for free but I basically sat there and watched all season. I owe it to them and the fans to come back at a cheaper price. That’s kind of what we’re hoping for but at the same time I don’t know what’s going to happen.
We’ll see what happens once other offers start coming in and Hart has to actually make a decision on where to sign, but that’s certainly a public stance you don’t often hear from players. During the previous three seasons Hart hit .280 with an .857 OPS and an average of 29 homers, so even with the health question marks he’ll be one of the best hitters available and is still relatively young at age 31.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 3
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)