Dale Sveum on job status: “They’re the bosses and they make those decisions and evaluate”

Sep 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

I wrote yesterday about how Cubs president Theo Epstein refuses to say that manager Dale Sveum will definitely be back next season despite being under contract. So what does Sveum think of his uncertain job status?

When asked about Epstein’s various quotes leaving things up in the air, Sveum told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune:

They have to evaluate, just like we have to evaluate our players and make a decision when the season is over on them as well. It’s the same thing. It’s the way the game is. … I’ve been happy with the way we’ve done things. Obviously some things haven’t gone too well, and some things have gone really well. I’m happy with my coaching staff, but that’s up to them. They’re the bosses and they make those decisions and evaluate.

I don’t have any hard-and-fast numbers to back this up, but generally speaking if the front office won’t say that a manager will definitely return the next season his odds of returning are pretty low. For whatever it’s worth first baseman Anthony Rizzo praised Sveum yesterday, saying: “I think Dale has done a really good job this year, especially with Starlin and me. We didn’t live up to what we’re supposed to do. That’s the game of baseball.”

1. harrysatchel - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Has anyone found fault with Epstein’s decision making yet? He doesn’t appear to be as talented with an organization that lacking the deep pockets that the Red Sox provided him.

2. materialman80 - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM

So the Cubs, the worst franchise in sports history, are the Cubs again. That’s news? Tell us something we don’t know.

3. chicagocynic - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Maybe they should see if Jesus Christ is available because it will take a miracle to make these bozos into a baseball team

4. materialman80 - Sep 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Jesus wouldn’t put on a Cubs uniform, I know he is always for the poor and downtrodden, but there are limits.

5. Minoring In Baseball - Sep 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I really don’t think that Sveum is the problem. They do seem to have some young talent, though, so give him a chance to let those guys develop.

6. kyd29 - Sep 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

as if the pockets of the Cubs are deep…that coaching staff is garbage and needs to be fired asap…Rizzo & Castro both regressed this year badly…coaches need to go

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3689)