Sep 19, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
It wasn’t too long ago that Dodgers manager Don Mattingly was on the brink of being fired, but now his team is the first in MLB to clinch a division title this season. What a wild ride.
The Dodgers defeated the Diamondbacks 7-6 this afternoon at Chase Field to wrap up the National League West. It is their first division title since 2009.
The Dodgers trailed 6-3 after the third inning, but they chipped away until A.J. Ellis put them ahead with a solo homer off Josh Collmenter in the top of the eighth inning. Hanley Ramirez, who sat out Wednesday with lingering back issues, went 4-for-5 with two homers and four RBI in the victory.
Mattingly’s job was in danger when the high-priced Dodgers were sitting in last place at 30-42 on June 21, but they have gone a major league-best 58-23 since. While the remarkable turnaround is complete and the division is decided, the Dodgers still have home-field in the National League to play for. As of now, both the Cardinals and Braves have better records. Still, they will be a very formidable opponent come postseason time.
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 2
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 21
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 60
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)