Sep 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
Jered Weaver has pitched very well of late, posting a 2.45 ERA and 24/7 K/BB ratio in his last five starts, but the Angels announced that he won’t take his normal turn in the rotation Friday.
Instead they’ll go with call-up Matt Shoemaker in his place against the Mariners, which is interesting because as of now the Angels haven’t said why Weaver isn’t pitching and they bypassed Tommy Hanson as the fill-in starter.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com notes that Weaver had some forearm soreness in his September 9 start, but he was healthy enough to toss six innings of two-run ball against the Astros on Saturday.
Weaver, who came back from a broken elbow earlier this season, has started 23 games with a 3.36 ERA and 115/36 K/BB ratio in 147 innings overall.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)