Sep 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
Jered Weaver has pitched very well of late, posting a 2.45 ERA and 24/7 K/BB ratio in his last five starts, but the Angels announced that he won’t take his normal turn in the rotation Friday.
Instead they’ll go with call-up Matt Shoemaker in his place against the Mariners, which is interesting because as of now the Angels haven’t said why Weaver isn’t pitching and they bypassed Tommy Hanson as the fill-in starter.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com notes that Weaver had some forearm soreness in his September 9 start, but he was healthy enough to toss six innings of two-run ball against the Astros on Saturday.
Weaver, who came back from a broken elbow earlier this season, has started 23 games with a 3.36 ERA and 115/36 K/BB ratio in 147 innings overall.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)