Matt Harvey apologizes on the Dan Patrick Show

Sep 19, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT

We talked about Matt Harvey’s adventures in product-pitching yesterday.  Today he returned to the scene of the (minor) crime. The Dan Patrick Show, where he apologized and tried to explain himself.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Takes a big man to stand up in public like that and admit his mistake. Got to give him a lot of credit for it.

• dan1111 - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM

“I’m sorry that I spent so much time talking about Qualcomm’s fantasking initiative yesterday. I was just so excited about how amazing their product is and how much it is going to improve fans’ ballpark experience that I couldn’t help myself. I especially regret repeatedly telling everyone to go to http://www.qualcomm.com, because the fact that there is an amazing offer there that no one should miss out on is no excuse for refusing to answer the questions. I sincerely apologize for telling everyone that I will quit baseball forever if their Facebook page doesn’t get 1,000,000 likes. Even though that is true, and there are still 300,000 likes to go with only 15 minutes remaining, and the only way I will ever throw a pitch again is if you go to the page RIGHT NOW, I should have realized that it wasn’t appropriate to say that at the time. To anyone who is offended, I hope that you will be cheered up by the only thing that gives me joy in life: fantasking.”

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Man that is Lair-worthy. I only wish I thought of it first and put Craig in the interview chair.

2. Old Gator - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Harvey makes it work. Whenever A-Roid apologizes or “explains himself,” he only makes it worse. Funny, that, no?

• yankee172 - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Nope

3. stex52 - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Good for him for doing that. I would like to give the kid a big benefit of the doubt. I expect the whole NYC celebrity scene is just a bit overwhelming when you are that age and suddenly one of the stars.

Let’s all give him a chance to grow out of it. I think that it is safe to say we could all use a couple of extra chances in our lives.

• Izzy - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM

It goes to show how impressive it is that guys like Jeter and Wright have mostly avoided these types of things.

4. hansob - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

They should have done a bit where Dan keeps asking questions about Qualcomm, and Harvey insists on talking about his elbow.

5. hughhansen - Sep 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM

It was still fairly awkward. Every time Patrick started talking about the first interview Harvey would cut him off and apologize again.

Still, it was a good sign that Harvey wanted to come back on the show to try to set it right. He generally seems like a very likeable guy.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Not so much cut off, I mean yes he did sort of, but I got the impression that it pressed his embarrassment index to 180 and it sent him into apologizing mode every time.

6. thebadguyswon - Sep 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

If we’re going to bash him for a big screw up – which he deserved – then its good we give him credit for fixing it today.

Three legends off to Cooperstown