Sep 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
When a 39-year-old reliever misses almost the entire season because of an elbow injury that’s usually the end of the line, but Octavio Dotel has never been your average reliever.
Dotel was shut down last month after logging just 4.2 innings for the Tigers this season, but Bobby Nightengale of MLB.com reports that he received platelet-rich plasma injections after visiting with Dr. James Andrews and has started a rehab schedule.
Whether he can ultimately avoid surgery remains to be seen and Dotel will almost surely have to settle for a minor-league contract next year, but a 16th season (and possibly a 14th team) is possible.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17