Sep 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
When a 39-year-old reliever misses almost the entire season because of an elbow injury that’s usually the end of the line, but Octavio Dotel has never been your average reliever.
Dotel was shut down last month after logging just 4.2 innings for the Tigers this season, but Bobby Nightengale of MLB.com reports that he received platelet-rich plasma injections after visiting with Dr. James Andrews and has started a rehab schedule.
Whether he can ultimately avoid surgery remains to be seen and Dotel will almost surely have to settle for a minor-league contract next year, but a 16th season (and possibly a 14th team) is possible.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)