Sep 19, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
It’s the time of the year for people to fret about attendance at ballparks of contending clubs. People shaming fans for not purchasing tickets in ways that they’d never think about shaming customers who declined to by any other product. Outside of baseball it’s usually the company’s fault for not marketing or pricing their product in optimal ways. In sports it’s the customer’s fault. Weird.
Into that odd environment, Pirates starter A.J. Burnett tweeted this the other night following a loss to the Padres:
Lots of empty seats. Lots!
While he didn’t put the finest point on it in the world, the obvious subtext to the tweet is “you people should be showing up in greater numbers and it’s frustrating that you’re not.” As far as attendance-shaming goes it’s about as tame as it comes (who wouldn’t want more fans in the seats?) but it still it led to all kinds of people getting mad at Burnett and giving him an earful on Twitter.
Last night Burnett, with a nice save, tweeted this:
— AJ Burnett (@wudeydo34) September 19, 2013
Probably worth noting that the attendance was 27,640 last night compared to 22,250 on the night he complained. An improvement, but not exactly a sellout or even a massive increase. Like that gift strike call after a manager gets ejected, this was a makeup call by Burnett.
In any event: Politics. Religion. Park attendance. Some things just shouldn’t be discussed in public.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)