Sep 19, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
It’s the time of the year for people to fret about attendance at ballparks of contending clubs. People shaming fans for not purchasing tickets in ways that they’d never think about shaming customers who declined to by any other product. Outside of baseball it’s usually the company’s fault for not marketing or pricing their product in optimal ways. In sports it’s the customer’s fault. Weird.
Into that odd environment, Pirates starter A.J. Burnett tweeted this the other night following a loss to the Padres:
Lots of empty seats. Lots!
While he didn’t put the finest point on it in the world, the obvious subtext to the tweet is “you people should be showing up in greater numbers and it’s frustrating that you’re not.” As far as attendance-shaming goes it’s about as tame as it comes (who wouldn’t want more fans in the seats?) but it still it led to all kinds of people getting mad at Burnett and giving him an earful on Twitter.
Last night Burnett, with a nice save, tweeted this:
— AJ Burnett (@wudeydo34) September 19, 2013
Probably worth noting that the attendance was 27,640 last night compared to 22,250 on the night he complained. An improvement, but not exactly a sellout or even a massive increase. Like that gift strike call after a manager gets ejected, this was a makeup call by Burnett.
In any event: Politics. Religion. Park attendance. Some things just shouldn’t be discussed in public.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)