Sep 19, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
It’s the time of the year for people to fret about attendance at ballparks of contending clubs. People shaming fans for not purchasing tickets in ways that they’d never think about shaming customers who declined to by any other product. Outside of baseball it’s usually the company’s fault for not marketing or pricing their product in optimal ways. In sports it’s the customer’s fault. Weird.
Into that odd environment, Pirates starter A.J. Burnett tweeted this the other night following a loss to the Padres:
Lots of empty seats. Lots!
While he didn’t put the finest point on it in the world, the obvious subtext to the tweet is “you people should be showing up in greater numbers and it’s frustrating that you’re not.” As far as attendance-shaming goes it’s about as tame as it comes (who wouldn’t want more fans in the seats?) but it still it led to all kinds of people getting mad at Burnett and giving him an earful on Twitter.
Last night Burnett, with a nice save, tweeted this:
— AJ Burnett (@wudeydo34) September 19, 2013
Probably worth noting that the attendance was 27,640 last night compared to 22,250 on the night he complained. An improvement, but not exactly a sellout or even a massive increase. Like that gift strike call after a manager gets ejected, this was a makeup call by Burnett.
In any event: Politics. Religion. Park attendance. Some things just shouldn’t be discussed in public.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)